1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to move- Who can offer advice?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Happy Chappy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I am coming up to 4 years in my school and although I love the staff I have lost some respect for certain people. Most the atmosphere is good, but I feel the time has come to move on and try something knew. At the moment feel a bit trapped- with amount of notice teachers are required to give- how do you attend interviews at other schools-while you are supposed to be at school teaching your own class! I haven't made my feelings known yet to SMT and don't really want too. Has anyone else been in the same situation? I don't necessarily want to take a sick day off to attend an interview- is this what others have done to get their next job??

Advice needed. Thanks

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

You're going to be telling them you're applying for jobs, aren't you, since you'll need your current HT as a referee? So they will be aware of the possibility of your being invited for interviews at other schools. You just tell them you won't be in school that day.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Please don't be dishonest, it's more likely to backfire on you!
    You are required to give your present Head as a reference (or else arouse suspicion) so you'll have to tell them you're giving them as a reference for x job. They will understand.
    But beware, wanting just to get away from a school may not always lead to a better school situation.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

There's nothing to stop anyone looking for another job if they feel they have done as much as they want to in their present role and would like to further their experience in a different place - and to be honest, it seems an awful lot easier to get experience in different schools when you're not so expensive! Don't feel bad, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a change. The professional thing to do is tell your bass of your intentions, and the professional thing for them to do is to support you. Hope you find what you're looking for.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I generally visit schools in PPA time or after school. When applying it is polite to ask your HT for the reference, even though he/she can't actually say no. So then the interview is no problem, they already know you are applying.

6. Thankyou all. All your responses have been great and very helpful. Will definately go and visit some schools first and then make a final decision. It's good to know that it's not as hard to leave as I thought.