1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TIme to move to another role?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by September, May 29, 2011.

1. September

September New commenter

I have spent the past two years working with my department where the members complain about everything that is put in place in the dept and in the school. I feel that next year is going to be the same and am considering stepping down so that the school can hire a new head of dept who may be able to pull the team together.

2. September

September New commenter

I have spent the past two years working with my department where the members complain about everything that is put in place in the dept and in the school. I feel that next year is going to be the same and am considering stepping down so that the school can hire a new head of dept who may be able to pull the team together.

3. TBH I would sya that the only real loser in this scenario will be you...
    Unless you have another role of same or higher level of repsonsibility to go to, then I would hold on to it if I were you.... it's not going to help stepping down with your own career advancement.
    IF the members complain about everything - my advice is to:
    • Pre-empt complaints with a "solution" when/if possible
    • Follow the management and if necessary discimplinary procedures tha should be in place to make sure that what is needed to be done is - perhaps outlining on PM targets their responsiblities re team work and teaching expectations.
    • Ask the teachers to provide possible solutions that are workable in your own circumstances
    • SUggest that a replacement HOD could be worse
    • Use a calendar so that the staff know what's up and coming - so there are few unexpected surprises - so they are informed and not able to say anything is too short notice etc.
    • Record/minute everything - including their moaning - then use this to feed into PMs as well as evidence/lack of for team work etc
    • Discuss tactics used by other teams in the school if they suffer similarly
    Not sure that this will work - but my advice is to stay with it and perhaps look for other roles within your own or a new school - maybe time to move on if you really can't bear it?

4. Have you bothered to ask these people what is at the root of the problem? Do they have a voice that is heard?
    How do you see your role? Is it to dictate to them or to listen to them? What do you do to support them?