1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to move on

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ddogg, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ddogg

ddogg New commenter

I hope that this is the correct platform for this...

With 8 full years worth of teaching full time, 7 of which as head of dpt/director of PA now I can’t see a future in teaching. I am giving 100% but it’s never good enough at my current school (been there for 3 years). Without going into detail I am just fed up with the abuse from every angle like low level disruption, being told to **** off by some kids, hassle from my slt link and parents who can’t accept that a lack of practice at home = poor grade at A level.

My question is, how do people get out of teaching? I am 31 now and all I have known after uni is teaching. What other careers suit teachers? I live in a smaller city so another school is not an option but I definitely need out of education.

I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  2. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

You are young with time to change careers a couple of times yet! Look on Workplace Dilemmas and you’ll see several threads like yours with suggestions of skills which are transferable to other careers.

Be prepared to take a dip in salary for a couple of years, but having stuck it out in teaching for eight years you have developed resilience and a work ethic which will help you climb back up in another work environment. You could still work with young people or opt for an entirely adult environment. Don’t be afraid, risk taking is an important part of moving on in our lives.

pepper5, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As SundaeTrifle says in post 2, you have nearly 40 years to go before you reach state retirement age. Rather than approaching escaping teaching with the thought of what can you do, start from the basis of what do you WANT to do. You've given teaching a go and that's not worked out so before committing yourself to another career do some hard thinking about careers that present a genuine interest for you and the role you would want to undertake - hands on, managerial, admin etc.

SundaeTrifle, pepper5 and mothorchid like this.