1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to move on... Burnt out classteacher needs to vent

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KindDog, Feb 3, 2011.

1. After 15 years as a class teacher, I finally feel that I can't do this exhausting job any more. I am so sick of all the pointless and time consuming assessment and target setting. I work 3 days a week (job share) but am working all the time when I'm not at school. I'm constantly doing assessment or planning, or studying (for an additional qualification for children with SEN). I dont even feel like I have time to do any house work or cook properly for my young children.
    I am SO ready for a different role.

Just wanted to vent!

2. PS The sad thing is that I enjoy teaching and I'm a talented class teacher (so I'm told) but it's all the extra stuff, outside of lesson time that I can no longer tolerate.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Just sending you a hug - I think you need it! [​IMG]

4. Thanks :)

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Was in a <u>very</u> similar situation to you. As soon as the children left home I'm afraid I jumped ship and now just do little bits of supply.

6. Well I'm def going to jump ship at the end of the summer. Funny really, as for a few years I've deliberated and debated and worried about making a decision I'd regret. But now I just absolutely know that I am in an untenable situation.

My children are at infant and junior school, btw, so waiting til they leave home would be a long way off!

7. I empathise completely. Am beginning to feel I need to do the same, not sure that I can make it until the end of the summer though.

8. That bad? How come?
    I probably wouldn't either, if I felt that I had a choice. However, I do feel a duty towards my very needy class, and also need to be working to get my new qualification...

9. Yes hang on until the Summer, at least its paid til Aug 31st which lets face it, is what we all go to work for
    I dont know anybody these days who says primary teaching is a great job, everybody mentions the planning expectations, resources, assessment, targets, marking etc stupid initiatives etc and I can see this has made so mnay people jaded and fed up, cant remember the last time I saw a genuinely happy teacher go itno the staffroom and say 'look what x has just done, isnt it fantastic...' as theyre all too knackered and concnetrating on the next lesson, planning, preparation, hoop etc
    Its a very very sad state of affairs the profession is in at the moment

10. Sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. Is the SEN course you mention the National Award for SEN for new SENCos? If so I also found this way way too demanding against the classroom teacher role.

11. I just want to say I've done this last night when we moderated our literacy assessments. I teach group 1 year 1 and I was jumping around the room, very excited about how much progress they have made from last time. I can read all 30 pieces of work without mediation!
    On the other hand, I am looking for a new job this year as I cannot stand the pressure from SMT, and 1 member of SMT with a dislike for me is making it near impossible to work there.
    I hope you find something that suits you.

12. Well then, that member of SMT should be severly disciplined for bringing personal feelings and grudges into the workplace. Always a shame to hear when people have to move on. Happened in my last school though when workaholic HT and DHT didnt think my face fitted and I was wasnt prepared to sacrifice my entire life to the school and work holidays and weekends. Found a lovely school next though