1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to call it a day? Stress and anxiety problems.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Severous, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have just spent a while reading through some past posts and found that its very good to read about some other peoples experiences and thought that i would share mine and hopefully get some good feedback that may help me to feel a bit better about my situation.
    I am a 23 year old NQT in my first year at my school, i had never really experienced working in a full time job before starting my PGCE, all was going really well throughout the first couple of months, i was doing ok and getting good feedback. It was the same throughout my PGCE year, i did well and had no major worries or issues.
    The problem for me started a few weeks before the end of term. I had a panic attack in a lesson ad it gradually got worse until christmas, i was feeling unsettled, pannicked, physically upset in my lesson. Had no confidence to deliver lesson or even do much talking in front of the kids. It was effecting me at home as well. I pushed through until christmas but started worrying a lot at home and became ill with it all, lost a stone in weight and was very fed up/upset all the time. i went to the doctors and he gave some medication. He also said he would sign me off for 2 weeks, but i didnt want to be off so i went back in on the first day only to be sent home and i have been off since then. It was effecting me quite bad at home, feeling anxious about going out around people, feeling very shaky ect. The medication has deffinately helped and i am feeling like my old self (layed back, cheerful) However, i was due to go back in yesterday and i just couldn't face it, i was so nervous and couldn't sleep, i rang in again and am due to see the doctor again tomorrow.
    My position is a maternity cover so i only have a few weeks left on my contract, i am thinking it may be best to stay off until then and get myself fully right and then think about whats best to do, whether it be try another school or get a new job all together i just don't know what to do.
    I was going to be offered a new contact as well at school but that is looking doubtful now due to everything that has happened.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully leave some good feedback for me,
    cheerz

2. Hi everyone,
    I have just spent a while reading through some past posts and found that its very good to read about some other peoples experiences and thought that i would share mine and hopefully get some good feedback that may help me to feel a bit better about my situation.
    I am a 23 year old NQT in my first year at my school, i had never really experienced working in a full time job before starting my PGCE, all was going really well throughout the first couple of months, i was doing ok and getting good feedback. It was the same throughout my PGCE year, i did well and had no major worries or issues.
    The problem for me started a few weeks before the end of term. I had a panic attack in a lesson ad it gradually got worse until christmas, i was feeling unsettled, pannicked, physically upset in my lesson. Had no confidence to deliver lesson or even do much talking in front of the kids. It was effecting me at home as well. I pushed through until christmas but started worrying a lot at home and became ill with it all, lost a stone in weight and was very fed up/upset all the time. i went to the doctors and he gave some medication. He also said he would sign me off for 2 weeks, but i didnt want to be off so i went back in on the first day only to be sent home and i have been off since then. It was effecting me quite bad at home, feeling anxious about going out around people, feeling very shaky ect. The medication has deffinately helped and i am feeling like my old self (layed back, cheerful) However, i was due to go back in yesterday and i just couldn't face it, i was so nervous and couldn't sleep, i rang in again and am due to see the doctor again tomorrow.
    My position is a maternity cover so i only have a few weeks left on my contract, i am thinking it may be best to stay off until then and get myself fully right and then think about whats best to do, whether it be try another school or get a new job all together i just don't know what to do.
    I was going to be offered a new contact as well at school but that is looking doubtful now due to everything that has happened.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully leave some good feedback for me,
    cheerz

3. Hi I just wanted to reply as noone else seems to have yet! I am afraid I can't really offer any advice but I can imagine just how you feel. I am an NQT who has not started induction due to lack of jobs but have done lots of supply and I understand how you feel- regarding anxiety and stress. Teaching IS a very stressful occupation and it's a shame because you seem to be doing so well so far.
    I think it would be best to finish your contract (though I know you must hate to hear me suggest this!) because it will be easier to get work in the future when you have fully recovered. If it is making you so ill , however, I say your health is far more important and you should leave now if it is too much.
    Have you tried having lots of relaxation - massages, acupuncture, or learned how to prevent panic attacks through controlled breathing? That might help you a bit
    Have you thought about what else you could do if, as you say, you get a different job altogether?
    I hope you manage to sort youself out and get better very quickly.
    sarbon[​IMG]

4. Hello Severous, I can fully empathise with what you're going through. It doesn't seem to be uncommon in teaching sadly but that doesn't mean all jobs are like this or that this is right. I'd say go with your instinct. Only you know what you can take and can't take in terms of pressure. Your suggestion of taking time out to regroup and thunk things through carefully is sensible. Above all else your health comes first and you need to look after yourself or you'll be no good to anyone. Wishing you the best of luck...
    L

5. Thanks for the replys guys, really appreciate your comments.
    I can honestly say that the last 2 months have been the hardest and most grueling time of my life without doubt, i am really a relaxed person and i like to smile and be happy and confident however this has just not been present while i have been struggling with this issue. I could go back and finish the contract but i think it would just make matters worse and after going through this i dont know if i can manage having that much stress/workload/pressure in my life. I dont know, maybe i am someone who cant deal with the pressure very well i dont know but i have realised that it definately isn't worth feeling how i have been feeling for (i think i need to make the most of christmas next year because this one was awful).
    I have a phone consultation with the doctor tomorrow and il see what he says.
    In terms of what else i could do? I have no idea, i guess i would just have to keep my eyes open and see what happens. I dont know im very confused about things at the moment. I was sensible with the money that i earned over my contract and have some good saves ready to put towards my life with my partner when i get settled.

Obviously i have been a bit down in the dumps today but there has also been a feeling of relief, i think i would be feeling a lot worse if i thought i had to be going in and dealing with it.