1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time to call a halt to the Grand National?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's been time to ban it for a looooong time.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

3. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I agree.

4. Yes, Bethannie, it is.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I don't want to see it banned. The fences are arguably sometimes more dangerous at Sandown and Cheltenham, but the National provokes outrage largely from people who don't follow racing the rest of the year. There have already been so many adaptations that it's much safer than it used to be, and fatalities occur during events such as show jumping and dressage too - as well as during flat racing.
    What I would support is a reduction in the field, possibly to 30 to reduce overcrowding. It was pretty obvious there were going to be a lot of fallers given the charge towards the first fence - the jockeys are warned every year not to do it.

6. I think you are right to a certain degree, ILS, that the size of the field is too large.
    I cannot even watch the race, particularly at the start when conditions seem so crowded.
    I also hate eventing - I am not sure about the fatality rate, but the courses are very harsh, and unforgiving.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I never watch it because I have no interest in horse racing and I hate the fact that horses died every year.
    However,we just happened to put the tv on this afternoon when it was starting as we were going to watch something we had recorded. I saw the bit before the start,when the horse had escaped and it was brought back to line up and I was laughing at its aventure. I'm so shocked to find out that the same horse died during the race.

8. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I think it should be merged with the Boat Race - instead of horses, Oxbridge students could run along carrying their boats and jumping over the fences.
    Bit like the Portsmouth/Devonport races with the guns in the Royal Tournament.

9. I don't know if it should be stopped, but something definitely has to be done. I was horrified today, and always am,when the horses and riders fall like that. I have no suggestions, as apparently it had been made even safer this year. However, it really upsets me that 2 horses have been put down due to fractured legs. They may never be race horses anymore, but surely with all the money in horse racing they could be looked after in a retired horse sanctuary instead of being put down.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That's exactly what I don't understand. One minute they are worshipped and the next,they are treated like a disposable item. I just don't get it.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Horses simply don't respond well to the immobilisation and treatment that would be necessary.

12. This is true. Do you really think they would destroy a valuable and much loved racehorse unless it was absolutely necessary? Certain fractures they cannot recover from.

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Our cat does alright with only three legs.

14. Slightly different weight ratio to racehorses.

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Maybe not quite in the same class, but it's the same with dogs when you think about it. Rescue centres have retired (but still young) greyhounds up to the rafters.
    I hate to think of animals being treated as disposable items but that's what happens when you combine racing and animals [​IMG]

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It's not really possible for a horse's fractured leg to heal. How do you immobilise a horse for the weeks necessary to heal their leg? How do you administer pain relief when the horse can't tell you if they are in pain, and how can you put the leg in a cast? The best that could be hoped for would be for the horse to be laid on its side in a tiny enclosure for weeks; this can't be expected. The kindest thing to do is to put the horse down and that decision won't have been taken lightly.
    But I continue to be disgusted by the Grand National: the size of the jumps and the uneven ground the horses are expected to land safely on; the massive ditches; the drops, often much lower than the ground the horses take off from, impossible to anticipate if you are a horse who has no understanding of the nature of the course they are running; the number of runners, couple with the awful course where there are better places than others to jump the jumps, thus meaning all jockeys head for the same spot.
    I despise this event. And it makes me sick reading comments on Facebook of people who are annoyed that the horse they bet on has fallen.

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

So do I. And that's why I prefer racing snails. Not a single one has ever come to any harm since the match organsiers banned salt and frisked everyone at the venue.

18. 40 starte: 15 finished
    40 seems like far too high a starting field :s

19. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

[​IMG]

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Dog food is important stuff!