1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time spent working outside classroom

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zaetsi, Mar 31, 2011.

1. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

Thank you - that's really helpful. I think the idea of doing voluntary work is a really good one.
    Would you say EYFS is less stressful than KS1? I've heard you have to do lots of observations but can't imagine the planning would take up so much time if children spend lots of time at play?
    With many thanks again.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

sorry but is this a wind up?

3. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

Sorry - I didn't mean to upset anyone. No, not a wind up - I work in an office right now so I just haven't much idea what's involved. I take it from that response that there's lots of planning involved then? I did a childminding course recently as a back-up in case I got made redundant and that REALLY opened my eyes to the amount of paperwork that might be involved in teaching (I was shocked).
    But generally I don't know many teachers so am just trying to imagine how much work might be involved, and trying to glean a sense of it from reading this forum and speaking to my kids' teachers.

4. I trained for KS1 and KS2 but started my NQT post in a Reception class in November. I certainly wouldn't say it is easier. Although there isn't marking to do (in the KS1/2 sense) there is certainly a lot of planning and assessment to do. I find I spend more time in school than I would have done in a KS1/2 post as lots of the work has to be done in class (setting up role play; ensuring continuous provision is updated/changed regularly; filing!. On average I spend about 9 hours a day in school but I don't spend all weekend planning. Due to have a whole day for PPA and NQT time I get most of my planning done then.
    Hope this helps!

5. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

That's really helpful - thank you - especially the concrete figure of 9 hours a day. I went to a TDA event recently and asked the same question but everyone was quite vague ('sometimes I have lots of planning, sometimes none'). Whereas I wanted to know how much time I'd have left at the end of the day for my children, the housework and everything else.
    Many thanks and the best of luck with the role!

6. I'd say my 'average' working day was 8 till 4.30 / 5pm , with about half an hour for lunch. In the mornings I set up the outdoor area, check I've got everything ready for the day, spend some time talking through the day with the other teacher and TAs/ any students (we're an open plan classroom between 4 teachers), and organise the fruit to be washed and delivered to all key stage 1 classes as this is one of my little extra roles. I might also be meeting with a parent, or with colleagues if necessary.
    At lunchtime I go over to the canteen with the children as our midday assistants don't start till later than our lunch does, and then check the classroom areas, set anything needed up for the afternoon sessions, make any phonecalls or deal with any 'incidents' from the morning.
    After school I tidy up, replenish any resources that are needed, set up for the next day, and spend time filing observations, photos etc and updating learning journeys. Whole school staff meeting till 5.15 on a Tuesday, and team planning meeting on a Thursday.
    I try to do my planning either on a Thursday or Friday before I leave school, so it's not hanging over my head all weekend (we use observations from the previous week to inform planning so I don't like to do it any earlier as I don't actually know where we're going to be up to or if the children are going to come up with something fantastic on a Friday afternoon that I'm going to want to continue). I will, however, invariably spend 2 or 3 hours on a Sunday on something school related.
    You do get PPA time - I find that I use that time for any work stuff that's not directly related to my class - so the language teaching I do (one morning a week throughout key stage 1), my coordinators role etc.
    I said 'average' above, there are some times - reports, when moderators/ inspectors are due, parent's evenings, getting ready for new intakes and all the transition work, when you've got shows or class assemblies or trips etc etc or just when things seem to be piling up for one reason or another, that I'll work till much later in the evenings or spend most of the weekend on work stuff. And of course there are other times when I seem to have things under control and don't even think about work all weekend.

Don't know how helpful all that is, I think it's a reasonably 'typical' picture in as much as there can be one, but of course everyone is different, every class is different, so there's no set answer.

Do be aware though that the PGCE year will probably see you working late most evenings - I know mine did, it was a really tough year (but 100% worth it), similarly as an NQT you might find yourself doing far longer hours.

7. zaetsi

zaetsi New commenter

Wow - thank you so much for such detailed replies and for taking the time to do that. That's really kind of you.
    It seems like a lot of hard work so I'm going to do some voluntary work to make sure it really is for me before committing myself to it. I'm also thinking of waiting to do the PGCE when my daughter is a bit older so less of a handful (my kids are 2 and 6 now).
    It really makes me appreciate what teachers do even more now I know what's involved. So many many thanks!