1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time smart, child geared observation and assessment system needed - please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Smithmi, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I am looking to implement a time smart assessment and observation system in my reception class and the pre-school next year. Last year we successfully personalised children's next steps, but this year my class size has increased from 15 to 21. Can you suggest any innovative systems?
    I am not a fan of post-it notes and want children to be involved in their own learning as much as possible. As I have SEN support and parent volunteers there could be four adults in the class at any one time.
    I don't use learing journeys but have communication books which is an active diary system used by me, the children and parents. They are a great success. All my photos are electronic so children have their own photo record system.
    Its the paper trail that I would like to make easier to maintain without loosing any effectiveness.
    Thanks ever so much.

2. Hi there
    I am looking to implement a time smart assessment and observation system in my reception class and the pre-school next year. Last year we successfully personalised children's next steps, but this year my class size has increased from 15 to 21. Can you suggest any innovative systems?
    I am not a fan of post-it notes and want children to be involved in their own learning as much as possible. As I have SEN support and parent volunteers there could be four adults in the class at any one time.
    I don't use learing journeys but have communication books which is an active diary system used by me, the children and parents. They are a great success. All my photos are electronic so children have their own photo record system.
    Its the paper trail that I would like to make easier to maintain without loosing any effectiveness.
    Thanks ever so much.

3. in what way is it effective?

4. I don't know if there are any short cuts, except reductions in reliance on paper trails ie Know the children and trust in your knowledge. If there's something you are not sure of go after evidence, if there's something that surprises you, jot it down. This is what i am preparing myself for as I will have to keep records for 60 nursery children come September.

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Try using parental knowledge of their children too.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why do you feel you need a paper trail?

7. Thanks for your reply. Its the jot it down bit I need to make smarter. As there are four of us who could make observations its getting a system where the jots feed the next steps: that way everyone can see in an instant what each child's next steps are. Thanks again.

8. Thanks Msz. The paper trail is simply the system that makes children's individual next steps transparent for all. For example, someone volunteers in the class on Friday. With a paper system they could pick up on children's next steps immediately.
    Am I right in guessing you do not record observations on paper at all then? If so how do you share next steps with your team? I would love to talk more.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not in reception now but when I was I only recorded what I thought I would forget or if I wanted to do a focused observation (concerns about a child or because a child have achieved something unexpected)
    Yes staff talked all the time and constantly shared information and planned together so paper trails were mainly unnecessary.

10. Do you seriously believe that this would happen in reality?!!

Remember that there is a big difference between assessment and writing down all that you see

Always ask yourself when recording something: Who will read this? Often the answer is no-one.