1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time saving tips

Discussion in 'Primary' started by deleted323, Jan 27, 2007.

1. A post a while back said about children leaving their books open for marking. This is saving me so much time, I can't believe I didn't think of it!
    Has anyone else got any time saving tips?......

2. A post a while back said about children leaving their books open for marking. This is saving me so much time, I can't believe I didn't think of it!
    Has anyone else got any time saving tips?......

3. Careful with this one - it doesn't work when SMT ask the children what you have said to help them. Then the trust has gone!

Also, this is cheating the children. If they can be bothered to do the work, then you should find the time to mark it. How can you move their learning forwards if you can;t be bothered!!!

4. Gertie didn't say they didn't mark, just they gave verbal marking and a sticker to keep the powers that be happy. If there wasn't such a negative/checking up culture, Gertie could save the time of printing and sticking in the stickers, and spend that time on doing what they are meant to - teaching!
    Yes it is cheating the children - spending time doing pointless tasks to appease parents/SMT when the time could be much better spent thinking up creative, fun, exciting, positive learning situations for them.

5. Similare to Mustbemad's suggestion of stickers on books, alot each child a number ( the number they are in registar) and then ask them to write their number on the top, right hand corner of all of their excercise books and homework sheets. When you collect them in, its easy just to flick through the pile numerically and if a number's missing to quickly look up who corresponds to that number and see that they haven't handed in any work. It's also great for checking that you haven't 'misplaced' (lost) any ones work, whilst marking [​IMG]

6. Buy a date stamp. I stamp books and initial them, then add a comment. Having them open ready helps too and you can often mark the earlier finishers while the rest are finishing. A half hour focus at the end of the day breaks the back of it and I take the rest home to do in front of the TV. I don't have a car, so it can never be many.
    I also have a simple bright orange card folder for each day of the week. When planning, preparing, I put what I'll need for each day in the appropriate folder. Pass folder to TA to photocopy if necessary, at a convenient time. Check all the day before, job done.

7. Have a date stamp on each table, children to stamp each piece of work they do. I do this with my Year 2 class and it has revolutionised life - everything has a date, and for the children who take ages to write the date, it means they can get on with the actual work.
    Print out learning objectives on stickers and stick them in their books, again gets children straight into their work.
    Photocopy all resources at the same time, end of the previous week. Yes, there are bits I haven't used, especially maths, but I can keep them for later on in the year. Takes about half an hour, rather than half an hour each morning trying to find all the resources.
    Mark their work whilst working with children, especially maths, saves loads of time at the end.

8. Similare to Mustbemad's suggestion of stickers on books, alot each child a number ( the number they are in registar) and then ask them to write their number on the top, right hand corner of all of their excercise books and homework sheets. When you collect them in, its easy just to flick through the pile numerically and if a number's missing to quickly look up who corresponds to that number and see that they haven't handed in any work. It's also great for checking that you haven't 'misplaced' (lost) any ones work, whilst marking

Numbers are great for saving time. Number the pegs and laminate. No need to change each year. Number a hanging file for each child for them to put their completed books in. Line up in number order, no arguing. Select children by numbers e.g. prime numbers first, square numbers next, all multiples of 3 etc. I have numbered class lists on the front of filing cabinets and near pegs. It saves so much hassle.

9. Get coloured sticky dots from Staples or wherever - put them on the spine of exercise books according to the group/table/whatever - means you can just yank all the blue group writing books out of the pile or whatever without having to root through for names, remember who's in what group for literacy etc etc etc.
    For lessons like Numeracy or phonics - train the kids to get a whiteboard and pen on the way into the classroom rather than faff on giving them out, or have a tray per carpet row/table and they take one and pass along... housetraining but seriously - giving whiteboards out without fuss should be an entire module on a PGCE course because it's a flipping nightmare! I used to have a time-challenge with my lot to get them given out and collected in - with the rules that nothing must be thrown, everything must be done safely etc etc... worked quite well.

10. Oh, and laminate anything that you think you'll reuse. Bit of a hassle at the time, but to be able to reuse resources is such a timesaver.

11. I have a classlist on a clipboard. On homework days, the kids hand in their work and tick off their own name. It saves rifling through and finding out who hasn't done it and gives you a record for rewards every half term for those who have been consistent.

12. On this thread of time saving.
    Don't let the children ever hand anything out. If you can't keep it on the tables permanently (pencils rulers, maths books, writing books, 100 squares HF words etc, then teach the children the idea of 'take one and pass the rest on'. This is especially useful when the children are on the carpet; when ever you need to distribute white boards or pens or anything else hand a stack of them to 3 or 4 convenient children and see the thing done in no time. Trust me even Year ones can do this.

Another thing is on lists. I keep am A4 portrait Word grid with the children?s names in column 1 and then 5-6 further columns across the page. I print it out on A4 paper for all sorts of reasons. Assessments, checklists, PE kit, Reading books, collating KS 1 SATs stuff, parents evenings, left handed, who can catch a ball and other motor skills or hand eye coordination stuff, homework, and 101 other uses. If they are to hand they become useful assessment mediums. TAs use them all the time. You can track my previous classes through the school by the teachers who are using the grids I originally made in the Unfants and passed on the classes? successive teachers.

13. Choose one group a day to spend time marking in detail. Just tick or stamp all the other books to show they have been looked at. Save lots of time doing things this way and the marking I actually do is good quality rather than a big rush through to get them all done!

14. How does this work when you have done creative writing? Do you eventually have to mark everyones finished piece of writing?

15. No, I'd again only mark one groups work - but make sure over the year that I don't always 'do' the same group on the writing days. I used to get hung up on the need to mark *everything* in great detail. But the last school I worked in actually had it their policy that teachers only quality marked one group each day. And while I was there, that school was awarded outstanding at OFSTED, so since then I've been quite happy just marking a group a day in detail. I refuse to do any more.

16. I use file folders for homework, lit and maths worksheets.The children put the work in themselves.
    I used to use the manila files but just found it gets pushed in there, whereas a file folder the children can easily look through their work. I think it works really well.

17. I also use the 'take one and pass the rest on' for giving out whiteboads on the carpet - it takes some training for some of the children (Y2) but once they have got the hang of it you're flying.
    I also use the little bags that you get with laundry tablets and put a whiteboard pen and a piece of dishcloth in each so that everything is together and they are easy to hand out/collect in. Once a week I will get a couple of children to 'test all the pens' and they love it!
    In terms of marking and objectives - I print out the objective as a 'Can I...?' question either on the sheet or to stick into the book. The groups that my TA and I work with in a lesson get detailed marking and very often i can just write 'Yes you can' in a bubble near the objective or 'nearly there'. Children self assessing with colours also helps you to know whether to re-cover something. We pick a colour for understanding (green, i could do it with no help and understood it, orange, i am beginning to understand but needed a bit of help from an adult/friend, red, im really not sure about this and would like Mrs C to go over it again). Once we have the colour we draw a face to show whether we enjoyed the work or not.
    One final thing is that we learn how to 'pass the door on' to the next person as we were finding that there was a lot of fuss because children didn't want to be at the front of the line because they had to hold the door. Now we all get through and no-one has to wait!

18. I agree - give the children responsibilities. Each morning one child in my class chooses two monitors for the day who are then responsible for all jobs that day e.g.taking things to office, giving out equipment, putting things away, feeding the hamster, tidying the corridor, holding open doors etc.
    That way all the children at some point get a chance to do all the jobs and work in pairs to be responsible (and support the scatty ones!). It also saves time (not having to remember who does what job!).
    I also have a TA book for ongoing jobs which helps to be organised!

19. missied

missied New commenter

20. I keep hearing about people marking at every possible opportunity, but I always seem to be preparing for the next lesson at playtime and seem to be really slow at marking....then I put it off as I know its going to take ages! Some of my colleagues say they mark 1 tables books per day but again, have never managed to make that work. I know I faff around a lot after school, but don't know that I'm better doing it at home as either way, I seem to be working late, don't quite get caught up and always seem to be tired. Wondering if its really worth all the hassle?