1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"time-pressed" shoppers who happily queue for half an hour for a trendy sourdough pizza

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Oct 14, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Sorry. My local central london tesco metro has just got rid of 22 members of staff. A mixture of redundancies and those who could no longer hack the new regime.

The people who have gone were part of my daily life. They were more expensive than automatic tills and app-paying. They were also friendly and kind.

Really upset today. Central london abounds with young pros who resent any intrusion into their texting time. Trouble is, there are also many of us who live here who appreciate real life contact.

Laphroig, bajan, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

towncryer, Jamvic and nizebaby like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I DID take part in a survey, and I made my feelings abundantly clear.

Can you hear me grinding my teeth?

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's a constant claim from businesses that they are responding to customer requirements when they virtually never ask. It's about what they can successfully get away with to make more profit, they couldn't care less about what customers actually want unless it hurts the bottom line.

Having to put up with something because there's no choice is not the same as getting what you want.

I've read somewhere about a supermarket somewhere having a slow-till for those who don't like to be rushed, who appreciate the calm and a chat. Now that's what some customers really want, but it doesn't improve profits so the vast majority couldn't care less.

smoothnewt and Jamvic like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Your opportunity to agree with what is planned anyway and be ignored if you don't.

Jamvic and nizebaby like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Boycott self-service tills, app paying or self-scanning. Force the supermarket to keep employing people!

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I refuse to use automatic tills. Unfortunately I'm part of a shrinking minority. Eventually all the old people who can't cope with the technology will starve as it will be impossible to buy food. Probably all a government plot to solve the care crisis.

towncryer likes this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's usually done via focus groups. These are normally run in multiple regions and are very detailed.They also include customers and non-customers.
    On the upside you free up the self-checkouts for others to use.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I've not, but I generally use the self-checkout tills because there's never a queue to use them.

While sorry for checkout staff losing jobs, it is something that has happened throughout the last two hundred years or more of history. Where are now the quill pen makers? the farriers? the steam train drivers? the knockers-up? the ice cutters? the lamplighters? the shorthand typists?

I shall shortly be 81 and I have no problem using self-checkouts. I think fellow crinklies who prefer staffed checkouts do so more in order to have a chat at the till (and hold-up the rest of us) than because they are defeated by technology.

Aquamarina1234 and nomad like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Perhaps what you should do is feign use of self service tills but instead of embarking on the scanning process, use the Call For Assistance function in order to ask how it works. Even though you do actually know. And then once you have scanned your item with the requisite professional supervision by your side, you could then decide "ach" it's too expensive actually". This would be especially satisfying with, say,a small over priced tub of Patum Peperium. Having dispensed with needless spending, you can then quite naturally steer the scenario into some idle banter about your grandchildren and your chilblains.

Come to think of it, those supermarkets have guilelessly provided us with very useful chat-on-tap. Where else in the history of shopping could you ever press a button for free and make somebody come over to talk to you?

In this rainy season it sure beats bothering youngsters at the bus stop.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Laphroig and mothorchid like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

From the point of view of "what can we get away with and make more money or cut costs".

12. LondonCanary

No. That is not the normal approach. Have you taken part in any?
    (Cost reduction is just one possible way to increase profit)

13. Mangleworzle

It depends how gullible you are as to why you are being asked.

Obviously, which is why I mentioned it.

The fact is it is profit driven and not service driven as it pretends to be.

14. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Never use the self service tills. Part of what I pay at a supermarket or any shop is for the service so is it wrong to expect that service.

towncryer, Jamvic and chelsea2 like this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Funny thing is, Aldi have no self-service tills but are doing very nicely thank you. They just don't let you pack a trolleyfull into bags at the till itself - you have to do it elsewhere. Yes they're pretty keen on rapid throughput at the tills but you're still dealing with humans.

Ironically it could be the commercial pressure from Aldi and Lidl doing it traditionally that is making the Tescos of this world revert to technological solutions.

towncryer likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We use the self-scan machines... very convenient. Always a queue for checkout so means we just can breeze through.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There will be people who enjoy the opportunity to have a brief chat with the checkout assistant. In a number of instances, it may be the only conversation they have that day.

I am delighted to hear of your ability to keep pace with modern technology, but working with the elderly as I do, I can assure you that many struggle to understand the reason for change and are not up to speed with technology. Although a number of my residents have computers, barely a third of them have been online recently.

More importantly for a teaching forum to consider, is that it isn't uncommon to discuss students with learning difficulties and reflect that it's relatively recently that schools have taken steps to provide extra help for these people. What of those who left school at 14 with the barest of education and have suffered with learning difficulties all their lives?

towncryer and Jamvic like this.
  18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We have been doing the same at Sainsbury’s. The shopping goes straight into the bag, we don’t have to queue and any offers are automatically allocated to our account.

I walk out with a smug look on my face knowing that I have helped others by not clogging up a till. I don’t like talking to people so I do not miss the “interaction” with the the cashier.

lanokia likes this.
  19. LondonCanary

Running a business at a loss rather than a profit is not a good policy.
    Better service is a route to increased revenues and incresed profit.

20. LondonCanary

They are the people you don't want to be behind.

Jesmond12 likes this.