1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time out strategies to counteract poor behaviour-what do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by headdown, Feb 28, 2011.

1. We have a key stage 1 child who clearly isn't coping with school routines especially during lesson time. Rather than bang our heads against a brick wall we need to take him away from the situation but within the classroom. Although young he is very street-wise and 'older', things like charts, stickers, praise is not something he particularly seeks.
    What do you use in your class as an alternative to dealing with constant disruption and refusal

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm surprised that he doesn't want stickers and charts, etc. Even if 'older'. My year 6 class still do!

If mine need removing from a group they are sent to sit by themselves away from the rest. If we are on the carpet they sit on the floor on the other side of the room. If we are at desks they generally sit on the carpet nearish to my desk. Depending on what they have done and their demeanour, I might ask them to face away from the class. Otherwise they are still expected to listen, just don't get to participate.

If they still persist (which they almost never do) then they are sent to the class next door.

3. I would ensure that they knew time disrupted/wasted would result in them 'paying time back' later. I have done this in KS1 and KS2. Younger children mey need something visual to represent time eg cubes for how much time they owe back. Then in their playtime they should do the task they should have done earlier. They soon become irritated by being kept back and decide its not worth it! ?? Don't know how suitable this strategy is for your child.
    Worth a try?!

4. oops! Mey!= May!!!

5. Does he work at all?
    If he starts his work then you see him bubbling and getting bored. Send him on a message - even to the next classroom. Tell the teacher next door that you will be sending him with notes. It might even just say - hello. They can write a reply and send him back. This may calm him down and make him ready to get on with his work?

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I had a child who was reasonably similar to this once. If he wasn't doing what he'd been asked to do, he would get a choice - what you want him to do, or stay there and do what ever you're doing and miss out." and we'd all leave him to it to think about it, and then go and ask him what his choice would be. He usually decided to stay and throw his tantrum, and the rest of us would carry on and myself and my TA would make a huge fuss of the lovely work the other kids were doing. Eventually he'd realise no one was looking at him and come and join in and be fine. After persevering for a while, he became easier to manage because he realised it wasn't worth the energy. I think the best thing you can do is give the choice, if not then well, he misses out! Or alternatively, leave him to it and for every minute he behaves this way, you take a minute back from him from playtime. And make sure you cash those minutes in.

If you really feel he needs a helping hand, do a boxall profile and get a TA to monitor the triggers and things that go on before the incident- what led to it? Then you can adapt your planning to meet his need, or you can spot the triggers and get a TA to whip him out and play a board game with him, or read or something until he's calm enough to rejoin. Depends what approach you prefer I guess.