1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time out for interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lCatherinel, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I have always told them I have an interview. I'm quite sure that it would be worse if you lied and told them you were ill. Surely since your current school will be the ones giving you the reference they may put 2 and 2 together and realize you have lied when they get the reference request? Perhaps you should speak to senior management first?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are likely to get a disciplinary warning or even lose your current job if you do.
    You are likely to get a disciplinary warning or even lose your current job if you do.
    Misrepresenting a reason for absence is a serious offence. And it won't work anyway, as schools write to your current Head to ask for a reference at the same time as they write to ask you to come for an interview.
    And you are required to give your current Head as first referee. If you don't, your application will be viewed with deep suspicion.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Apart from what you've been told already, especially by Theo, just say you did tell a complete, barefaced lie and take the day off to attend an interview. And they offered you the job.
    How, exactly, were you planning to inform your current head about how, exactly, you managed to obtain the job, given that you claimed you were off sick (or whatever)?
    Lying to the boss in any job is a bad idea. Lying to the headteacher about your reasons for taking a day off school is a disciplinary offence and one which is likely to lose you your job entirely and render you totally unemployable, since your reference would simply contain the words 'Mr/Miss Zibidee wa dismissed for gross misconduct'.
    In teaching, we inform the headteacher that we are applying for other jobs and ask him/her nicely if we may put his/her name as a referee.
    Then, we get asked to an interview, the head isn't angry when we tell her/him we need a day off for an interview, because s/he already knew we were applying for other jobs.