1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by McCloy15, Aug 1, 2019.

1. McCloy15

McCloy15 New commenter

I gave one years notice for 14hrs unpaid leave I also provided known cover for my absence. It was turned down by the governors, I appealed explaining clearly the reasons why I was wanting the time off, again it was turned down. My union says that I could be sacked for gross misconduct if I go. I am a TA who has worked at the school for three years and have never had a bad appraisal, during the last three years I have had less than a week off through illness. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Resign and get another job?

I agree with your union. If you have been refused leave during term time and you don't turn up for work anyway you probably will be sacked for Gross Misconduct.

You've gone through the entire process including appealing to the governors so there is nothing further you can do.

Whether the school's position was reasonable I can't say, we don't know what you wanted the time off for.