1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off work during early pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lisaquin, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've never posted on here before but thought it was a good place to get some advice.
    I
    am currently 8 weeks pregnant after undergoing a course of ivf before
    Christmas. My school have been so brilliant and supportive during this
    time and I was signed off work for 2 weeks.
    Due to my age (I am
    39) and the fact that it is an ivf baby, I am probably being more
    precious but i am worried about returning to work and all of the stress
    that will ensue. I have spoken to my gp who has offered to give me an
    amended work schedule should i need it and i have liaised with my line
    managers to sort out an altered working day to make life a bit easier
    for me.
    However, I am Head of Year in a very busy boarding school
    and people just generally don't understand that i really need to look
    after myself and there are some things i can't do. It sounds awful but
    at the moment all i can think of is my growing baby and its welfare. To
    be honest, I don't give a hoot about anything else, which sounds really
    bad.
    To top it all, we are expecting a full inspection at the end
    of Jan. I won't be 12 weeks yet and will still be vulnerable. I know
    things will be full on and normally i would embrace that as i've been
    through many successful Ofsteds in the past. However, I feel differently
    this time and am trying to avoid stress at all costs. It's all very
    well thinking i will stay calm but with everyone around me running
    around like headless chickens it's really hard. Our Headmaster is new
    and a bit of a slavedriver so not sure how he will react to the
    Inspection and what his demands will be.
    I really need some advice
    about what to do. Teachers feel so bad about taking time off and i've
    already had 2 weeks. I'm mentoring an NQT and feel i can't let them
    down, but i'm wondering if things get too bad whether i should just get
    myself signed off until the whole thing is over.
    I would appreciate any advice about what to do.
    L x

2. Hi all,
    I've never posted on here before but thought it was a good place to get some advice.
    I
    am currently 8 weeks pregnant after undergoing a course of ivf before
    Christmas. My school have been so brilliant and supportive during this
    time and I was signed off work for 2 weeks.
    Due to my age (I am
    39) and the fact that it is an ivf baby, I am probably being more
    precious but i am worried about returning to work and all of the stress
    that will ensue. I have spoken to my gp who has offered to give me an
    amended work schedule should i need it and i have liaised with my line
    managers to sort out an altered working day to make life a bit easier
    for me.
    However, I am Head of Year in a very busy boarding school
    and people just generally don't understand that i really need to look
    after myself and there are some things i can't do. It sounds awful but
    at the moment all i can think of is my growing baby and its welfare. To
    be honest, I don't give a hoot about anything else, which sounds really
    bad.
    To top it all, we are expecting a full inspection at the end
    of Jan. I won't be 12 weeks yet and will still be vulnerable. I know
    things will be full on and normally i would embrace that as i've been
    through many successful Ofsteds in the past. However, I feel differently
    this time and am trying to avoid stress at all costs. It's all very
    well thinking i will stay calm but with everyone around me running
    around like headless chickens it's really hard. Our Headmaster is new
    and a bit of a slavedriver so not sure how he will react to the
    Inspection and what his demands will be.
    I really need some advice
    about what to do. Teachers feel so bad about taking time off and i've
    already had 2 weeks. I'm mentoring an NQT and feel i can't let them
    down, but i'm wondering if things get too bad whether i should just get
    myself signed off until the whole thing is over.
    I would appreciate any advice about what to do.
    L x

3. Nope, that doesn't sound bad at all, you sound like a typical mum.... wait till the baby is here, you will care even less! Seriously, you get that little bundle out and school will be a million miles from your head.

Right, pregnancy isn't an illness... but your body is working hard to make a whole human.... legs, arms, brain, kidney, liver... your whole body feels different in a way nobody can understand.... So you are bound to feel tired, not tired even, EXHAUSTED. I was about the same stage as you a year ago- and several snow days helped me not take too much time off work....

You have to listen to your body- this baby sounds like it has been a long time coming and, obviously, is very special to you,. If you feel like you aren't 'coping' or are struggling, take time off.... Don't just battle on as you will feel even worse.
    I did find the symptoms of pregnancy dramatically improved after 14 weeks or so- spring was coming and I felt better able to cope.
    Get all the help you can from your GP, be honest with your line managers about how you are feeling, your worries and your health.... why battle on? Your baby is far too important.

Massive congratulations as well- it always brings a tear to my eye when I hear about IVF babies.

4. Yes, get yourself signed off if you feel you need to.... I would.... this time next year, you will have a wriggling, giggling baby and your time off won't seem important.... but your baby will always matter.... You and baby first, school a distant second.
    Ofsted before 12 weeks pregnant, owch. Still in the tired and bleugh bit of pregnancy. Yo9u have had to fight for this baby and work hard to get where you are, so look after yourself and try and enjoy pregnancy.
    Good luck and no guilt needed!

5. Thanks so so much for your replies ladies. You really understand what i'm going through and it brought a tear to my eye! Must be the hormones lol.
    I went to the gp earlier about some sharp lower abdomen pains and they think it might be a uti but i've been signed off work for 2 weeks because of the stress i'm under at work and i feel so much better now.
    Thank you again for your words of encouragement. xxx

6. I doubt you could get signed off for the whole pregnancy - it will be little chunks at a time - probably of 2 weeks or so. Glad you've been signed off for another 2 weeks - this takes the pressure off for a bit.
    Your school should do a risk assessment - you need to be protected during this special time. I think I can understand how you are feeling - not physically as I've never been pregnant but emotionally as I've recently had IVF.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy - take it a step at a time and be assertive with work if you have to. Hope all goes well.

7. Thanks for your support Becky. You obviously understand quiet a lot of how i'm feeling as you've recently had ivf and that alone takes so much out of you.
    I think i will speak to work about doing some sort of risk assessment for when i'm back (they seem to love doing them for every other bloody aspect of school life lol)!
    Take care.
    Lx

8. L: congratulations on your pregnancy! You must feel over the moon but so anxious at the same time. I'm also pregnant with an IVF baby and the first trimester is really hard as you are so worried it's all going to be taken away from you. It all feels so fragile and on top of feeling rough that's not a good combination! I probably don't need to tell you that your pregnancy is the most important thing here and Ofsted really aren't. I was going through GCSEs during my first trimester and I actually ended up getting a lot less stressed than I would have normally as it just didn't seem as important. If your school were supportive during IVF, they will probably be very supportive about your pregnancy. The minute you feel you aren't coping or it's getting to you then you need to take the time off. A risk assessment is also a good idea. I had one done. Try not to worry to much about being stressed as to be honest, whether you have Ofsted or not, it will make no difference to your pregnancy. Again, congratulations!

9. Two IVF babies rather.