1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off to visit schools.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lillipad, Mar 21, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi, Am on a mat cover so obviously have to leave! There has been a 'hint' of a job but again like you -it's not guaranteed so I wanted to be looking elsewhere ready. Just wondered if there was a limit to how much time you could take (if any) Or whether it was a case of having a lovely head.

2. Unfortunately I am just a TA (I'm looking to gain experience before I do a GTP or PGCE), but from most of the feedback people have given me or I have seen on other topics HT's are not obliged to give you any time off to look for other jobs.
    There is the option of just having a discussion with them to explain your situation (just be aware, they may hear what they want to). Any reasonable person would allow you to have some time off to look around or go to interviews as long as it isn't over the top.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This isn't quite true. Imagine you need an afternoon off to look around and then a day for interview. That is 1.5 days of supply cover they have to pay out for, £270 in our school. Multiply that up if you don't get your first few posts and they could well be up to a couple of grand in no time.

Heads will allow you time off for an interview, but are not obliged to do so for visits. You could visit in your PPA time or after school.

But definitely talk to your head and let them know the situation.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

How do I raise it?! Hi there, can I have some time off!? lol

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did it by saying 'If I was to apply for another post, would you write me a reference please?' The time off for interview hasn't arisen yet as closing dates are next week.

To be honest, if you are looking at lots of schools, with no certainly of applying, then you are asking a bit much to have time off.
    Interviews will be fine.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Once you have the conversation with them, you might find that they offer you a permanent post anyway and so the whole worry becomes meaningless.

Good Luck.

7. MissRS

MissRS New commenter

If you are on mat cover the head will know that you will be looking for other bits of work. I'd start the conversation by telling the head you have seen a job advertised you are interested in for next year once your work at their school has finished and do they know anything about the school (I'm sure they will be flattered you value their opinion). If they mention a possible extension of your current work into next year make sure you get something in writing before turning down other opportunities because I got my fingers burnt in a similar situation when I believed the head's "mention" of the work being exteneded. Good luck with the job search.