1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off, to complete Masters?.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Edi02, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Edi02

Edi02 New commenter

Hi,
    I am considering of doing a Masters in history. However, I'm just wondering, what is the chances of the schools allowing teachers to take time off from work during the day to attend lecturers etc (possibility 3 hrs or so off a week)?. Will schools object to time off for these kind of purposes?. Thanks!.

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It's the kind of thing only your school can answer, but probably the answer is no. You are paid to do your hours and to have that time off every week would be unfair on the other members of staff. You could request to go part-time but there's no guarantee your request will be granted. But ultimately only your HT/governors can say yes or no.

As someone who's just finishing an MA, I recommend you think very carefully about the amount of time you will be able to give if you are working anywhere near full-time.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I agree with Sillow, I'm afraid: I don't think it's likely at all, but you can only ask! If it happens to fit into PPA, it's more likely, but they're not obliged

I've done mine by distance over 3 years, which means I've not needed any time off.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think the whole point of pursuing further qualifications is to demonstrate a capacity to manage your teaching commitments AND maintain the energy and drive required to invest in additional study.A lot of people rise to the challenge and succeed.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

When I was a head, I'd have told any member of staff making such a request that they were appointed, contracted and paid to work in school and that if they wanted to study for a further degree, they could either do what everyone else did and do it in their own time - or request a part-time contract and then be paid and contracted accordingly.

I have 3 higher degrees, two of which were undertaken part-time whilst I worked. The first involved me going up to London after school for two evenings a week over the course of two years.

6. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Are you sure that you can balance the duties of an NQT with further study? I doubt it. You are still learning how to teach.

I studied for my masters before going into teaching - with the O.U. All of the students had full time jobs.

One day a new student arrived (she normally went to another tutorial). She did nothing but huff and puff and moan about her workload and how she was struggling to cope. I have never heard anyone make such a performance over studying. She demanded an extension for her dissertation - 4 months before it was due.

This was probably September time. We were disgusted to discover that she was a headmistress. In our opinion she had just had at least 6 weeks holiday in which to catch up with her studies. She disappeared and we never found out whether she passed her M.A or not.

I now know that members of the teaching profession do not really have as much leisure time as the general public think they do and have a little more sympathy for her predicament.

I would advise you to think very carefully about studying for a masters. If you decide to go ahead I would recommend the O.U. or a similar institution which specifically caters for people in full time work.