1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off in lieu

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by skint1, Apr 25, 2019.

1. skint1

skint1 New commenter

I've recently come back from maternity leave and have gone part time - 3 days a week. I'm struggling to find clear information regarding what I'm entitled to in terms of in service days and time off in lieu for bank holidays which fall on days I don't work. Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance!

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Assuming that you work in a state school,in Scotland,the person who deals with staffing issue at your school should be able to work it out for you. They should know how to calculate it as there is a clear formula to follow.

skint1 likes this.
  3. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

skint1 likes this.
  4. skint1

skint1 New commenter

Thanks.

5. skint1

skint1 New commenter

Thanks for that.

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Are you sure this is right? I don't think you are entitled to anything

If you are working a 0.6 contract you should simply work 117 days (195 x 0.6)

If you work Tues/Wed/Thurs, for instance, you are not entitled to an extra day off because there was a bank holiday Monday on a day you didn't work. The contract just specifies 117 days.

It can sometimes mean you "owe" days or are "owed" days if you are scheduled to work more or less than the 117, it doesn't have anything to do with bank holiday entitlement.

The same applies to In-service days. People think you should do 0.6 of them but this is not right - it's just a working day and if you happen to be scheduled to work it then that's fine, unless the school wants you in and pays you for it. Theoretically you could work part time and do all or none of the In-Service days in any school year.

7. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Check with your union. Don't rely on your SLT. My head tried to screw me over and gave me a heap of misinformation when I was on a .8 contract. (He tried to tell me that I had to attend every single one of his pet CPD sessions. They were in the WTA. Nope, according to my union. All pro rata.)

My union told me that everything was pro rata. Some LAs - I think Edinburgh City is one - give very clear guidance on 'owed' days and inservice days. Others, such as Fife, just leave people to muddle through.

My recollection is that I did .8 of the 190 teaching days and and I missed one of the inservice days.

Some heads will pay you to come in on an extra inservice day or may pull the 'You are invited...schtick.'

Another one that my head tried to pull was, 'We're short staffed on your day off. Could you do me a favour and come in then, and you can have another day of instead?' Nope. Basically, he wanted me to organise work for the random day and be a supply teacher for my non-teaching day. Get raffled.

I think the SNCT has some specific guidance...I'm going to have a gander.

8. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Can't find anything specific, but some of the authorities do have local agreements posted online - well worth having a google.

9. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Re public holidays. According to the SNCT terms & conditions "The annual leave entitlement of a full time teacher or music instructor shall be 40 days. Pro rata arrangements shall apply to part time staff and those employed for any part of the leave year. Public holidays are included in this entitlement" (Part 2, section 5). Most part-time staff, I suspect, are unaware of this entitlement that they are due even if they do not work on Public Holidays. This is more of an issue with our Primary Sector colleagues where a typical job share arrangement could have one teacher on 0.6 working Tue/Wed/Thu with the job sharing partner on 0.4 working Mon/Fri who will clearly benefit from Public Holidays with Easter Fri/Mon and May Day holidays falling on their days off. The teacher on 0.6 is entitled to 0.6 x 3 of those same public holidays despite them being on designated days off. As you would expect SMT usually ignore (or even refuse this request for time in lieu or extra pay) until forced to cough up from union intervention.

Effinbankers likes this.
  10. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

A question MBK:

If a teacher works Tues-Thurs on a 0.6, are they entitled to some sort of recompense for missing a bank holiday on a Monday according to what you have posted from the SNCT?

I just thought they are already getting that Monday off!! Could they theoretically be directed to take any "entitlements" during school closure periods?

There certainly needs to be greater guidance for part time staff over what they are entitled to, it's not clear at all

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

In the case of a teacher working Tuesdays to Thursdays,they would not work on a Monday or a Friday (days they would not be paid for) and those are the days when we have Mondays and Fridays bank holidays. However,their 0.6 contract means they should benefit from 3 out of 5 of the bank holidays. As they don't work on those days,they are not benefiting from the bank holiday day as they are not getting an extra day off like a full timer would be. Therefore,the school "owes" them those days. They could get them in pay or in days off. My school give us those days back during activity week when pupils are off normal timetable.
    On the other hand,if a part-timer was working Mondays,Tuesdays,Fridays on a 0.6 contract,they would benefit from 2 extra bank holidays. They would therefore need to give the school 2 days back,they would probably have to do the 5 inset days or come in during one of their days off to cover or do development work.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    sicilypat, Marisha and MilkyBar Kid like this.
  12. teachaaaaaa

teachaaaaaa New commenter

Yes, ‘closure days’ are often used for entitlements eg holidays accrued during Mat leave or long term sick. Basically you can have the last 2 weeks of the summer holidays as your accrued leave. After 40 days it isn’t technically isn’t our holiday. School is just closed. I see that being pulled on us in the future to be in except for those 40 days. Why pay us to sit at home when we could be in making data spreadsheets or doing other admin tasks?!