1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off in lieu

Discussion in 'Primary' started by *nic*, Jan 20, 2019.

1. *nic*

*nic* New commenter

Does anyone get time off in lieu for working extraordinary hours (Eg driving to a school trip which is a long way away and not getting back until very late)??

Just wondering do we get any protection in times of hours worked? I’ll be ‘on duty’ from 8.30-midnight tomorrow and then expected back at school the next day to teach at 8.45. Thanks

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Not at my school! You can say no but if you agree you get nothing back.

freckle06 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

4. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

It's worth a try, but I did not get anything back when I took my class on a five day PGL trip some years ago. The teaching staff were kept up extraordinarily late most nights!

5. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Never had any TOIL. Did residentials for about 25 years and never had the offer .

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Are the kids getting back that late, or are you going to part of a residential?

I've come across kids being allowed a late start the day after a late trip - obviously for some working parents, they won't want to take up the offer, but it might make it easier for to give the staff a late start too - and perhaps those tired children who are in school might just have a session reading in the library.

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Just checking that you are not driving the minibus on such a trip? If you are back in at silly o'Clock, I would only be prepared to run the trip in future years if it were on a Friday, before an Inset day and so forth.

8. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

You need a rest break. How ridiculous. At the very least, you need a later start. Our school doesn't give TOIL but is due to start doing so.

At my partner's school, if you do a residential, you return to school on the Thursday and the Head gives you the Friday and Monday off to make a long weekend. I think that's quite fair! But then his school is light years ahead in terms of staff wellbeing and workload.

lardylady likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't think I'll be the only one that thinks that is over the top. The Friday off is really helpful but no one needs the Monday too.

10. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

If you've been on residential for 4 days and 3 nights, I think it's quite a nice way to show your staff they're valued. It really depends on the length of the residential I suppose.

Their PPA is also taken as a day on alternate weeks so the Friday is essentially their day in lieu and the Monday their replacement PPA or vice versa. I think the reasoning makes sense.

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Speak for yourself!

Our Y5 and Y6 have a residential every other year from Monday to Wednesday, and the staff that go get one day off to be taken whenever they like during the year.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We never got any time off but I do think one day off is very fair.