1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time off for when your own children are sick?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Feb 14, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You are entitled to take unpaid parental leave to care for a child under 5 of up to 13 weeks in total prior to their 5th birthday. This is provided you have been with your employer for at least a year.

2. thanks, but do you know about older children? and are teachers meant to be paid? say, for example an 8 year old daughter who has tummy bug for 3 days?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Any reasonable employer would allow you time off at least until other arrangements for childcare had been made, but that is at your heads discretion. There is no requirement for your school to pay you for this leave as far as I know.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

This is not at the Head's discretion. You are entitled to time off to provide assistance when a dependant is ill and/or to make arrangements for the care of a dependant. It may well be that it would take 3 days to make arrangements for such care. As an aside, this applies not only to your child, but to your spouse or parent or even somebody who lives at the same house as you.
    S.57A(1) of the ERA 1996.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Should add that this entitlement is unpaid.

6. In my school we can have up to 2 paid days to look after a sick child...

7. Generally IME many LEAs will allow five individual days for umforeseeable events that are the teacher's responsibility to manage, emergencies etc.... though usualy this is five separate occurrences and I have known individuals to be tld that they are taking too many too frequently.... in general if you are not the ill party, you cannot expect to be paid for not working.... tough love I am afraid!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

But many schools have their own, different policies - what the LA recommends is not binding on any school.
    Asyou rightly point out, however, in general people can't expect to be paid for not working.

9. fairport

fairport New commenter

'Parental leave' as mentioned in Post 2 is different to taking the odd day off to care for a sick child. Parental leave is unpaid and may be taken until the child is 5 years old (18 if the child is disabled). It must be taken in weekly blocks (daily if the child is disabled). In the normal course of events, parental leave can't be used to care for a sick child as it should be booked in advance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Parentalleaveandflexibleworking/DG_10029416