1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for stress - does it affect getting a new job

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by irishpsychic, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I am due to leave my school at the end of this term, when maternity cover ends; but often feel that I can't go on anymore (with the job) - NQT who is failing with poor suppor. I have had a week off for stress, but went back when the sick note ended, as I am looking for a new job, and didn't want to harm my chances of another teaching post.
    But I feel I can't carry on as I am constantly bursting into tears (luckily not at school - I put a face on and bear it, although they do know I am on ADs (citopalm). I know that the doctor will sign me off if I ask, as he has diagnosed me with moderate to severe depression, and knows that I have several times seriously considered ending everything - only the thought of my daughter keeps me going then.
    I have been referred to a counsellor by my doctor, which starts in two weeks.
    But I don't want to go to school - just sitting here unable to plan anything , everything going round and round, but do not want to risk a bad report for a new school on medical issues.
    Any suggestions, and sorry and thanks

2. Really. It is still on application forms because some LAs have them printed in printshops and obviously want to use up the forms they have; others have not got round to reediting the pdf file (the only employee who knows how is on maternity leave, etc.), yet others keep it like that and hope you'll answer the question not knowing you needn't. You cannot be required to answer this question, leave it blank. If you are asked about it in the interview, say politely that you would like to decline the answer under the power of the 2010 Equality Act.

3. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

thanks for this information . i have put on a post about being absent and then resigning from post last year due to a nervous breakdown caused by stress and ptsd ; i have written a confidential letter attached to my applications explaining this . so i shouldn't be doing this ?

4. Look. There is teacher unemployment. Whatever post you apply for, there will be another 10-100 applicants. Why offer negative information about yourself? When it isn't even asked for?

5. I am sorry but I find this kind of post irresponsible. I have worked with too many people like this who play the system and take days off all the time. I am fed up filling in for them and doing their work for them.
    I accept that there are times when people do suffer stress and depression- bereavement, illness in the family etc, but basically if you always find the job or life too stressful get another job where there are fewer stresses.

6. Then don't. Rarely cover?

7. I am suffering stress and find your comment in your second paragraph offensive. My stress is directly caused by the Head Teacher and my Head of Department. I hope you don't ever find yourself in my position, but maybe you will one day, Little Britain. As they say 'What goes around, comes around' or another way of putting it 'Judge you not, lest you be judged, because whatever point you judge on you will be guilty of' so let's see what happens to you...