1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by flowerpower100, Mar 14, 2020.

1. flowerpower100

flowerpower100 New commenter

I have an interview at a school 45 minutes from my current school. My headteacher wants me to go in for the morning. Can he say I need to go in on the day of an interview?

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Yes.
    You are employed by your current school.
    They don’t actually have to give you permission at all.
    They don’t have to pay you even if they give you permission.
    If the interview is only in the afternoon, then it is perfectly reasonable for the head to ask you to work in the morning.

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Yes. He is giving you time off for the interview. If it's a local school and only an afternoon interview not a whole day one, why shouldn't you be able to teach in the morning?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes - it's what the last two posters have said.

You aren't entitled to any time off - paid or unpaid - to attend interviews at another school. Many posters have reported on here that their head has refused permission completely, so be glad your head is more reasonable. If you are being paid for the whole day it's fair that should be at work for the morning.

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.