1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for interviews

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by balletomane, Dec 3, 2018.

1. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

I'm a part-time teacher on a permanent contract. Until this week I had another job alongside it (fixed-term contract). I need to find other work now that my second contract has expired, as the teaching salary is too low to live on by itself. I really love the school and I don't want to leave. I've been invited to an interview this week, for a part-time evening role in adult education. The snag...my interview is on one of my teaching days, and it can't be moved (I asked).

I've already had a fair bit of time off this term due to my mum being in hospital, and I had a hunch my head would not be happy with a request to miss another afternoon. I asked about it by email and I've had no reply. Tomorrow I'll see them in person. I'm wondering what I should do if it's a no. If I'm not going to be allowed to attend interviews I may just have to look for another job, as I can't get by on £13k a year, not unless I find a way to photosynthesise instead of eating. Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it?

2. 8sycamore

8sycamore Occasional commenter

I think that they don't have to allow the time off, although if others have been allowed to attend interviews in work hours it may be hard to justify a refusal.

All you can do is have a very honest conversation about why you need a second job. Would there be any chance of going full time?

If they refuse, unfortunately you will have to look for another job. It is a difficult situation and I hope you get the time off.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Perhaps you can sweeten it by saying that the good news is that this is an evening post, so if your mum is ill again it will be easier for you to fit hospital visits in on days when you're not working in either post. It might also mean you're more available to do supply in your current school.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good strategy...

And you can add that if you can't get a job like this one, you will probably have to look for a full time job, meaning you will have to leave the school, of course (& I would say it sadly, making it clear you really don't want to go down that route)....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Most schools seem to allow time off for interviews, so I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt if you will persuade them if they say no, as schools are supposed to have a policy and could have problems with allegations of discrimination if they allow some people time off and not others.

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Brilliant advice from above i.e. telling the HT only ALL the benefits of you getting this job for the school. I would minimum disruption by paying for a taxi to the interview, if you don't have a car and planned to go via public transport as it may mean you could work a little longer. The school can easily survive without you for a few hours and Good Luck!

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There is no statutory right to time of to attend an interview.

It depends entirely upon local agreements. Academies doubtless have their own policies. Otherwise this kind of leave will be covered by a local agreement with the local authority.

Just ask your boss.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and Piranha like this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

As you are part-time, could you offer to make up the time you will miss on another day? Or swap with another part-timer?

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I agree that most schools allow staff time off for interviews but that is usually when a staff member is leaving. In this case the OP is not leaving this job but needs time off from it to attend an interview for s second job.

The only thing that I can recommend is that you ask the HT very nicely for the time off and maybe make up the time on another day.

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I hope your boss was sympathetic when you asked!
    Good luck with the interview.
    A good workplace should be cherished.

Lalad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

It turned out that my email to the head had just been buried beneath a ton of their other correspondence and they weren't preserving a frosty silence after all. They're happy for me to go to the interview, and we'll be looking at ways for me to make up the time next term. Some students are going on a residential field trip and volunteering to be one of the accompanying teachers would be one way to clock up hours, so I'll probably do that. Thanks for the advice, all.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That's great!

13. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Well done...and good luck with the interview!