1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for interviews

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tiredout, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tiredout

tiredout New commenter

I am currently in a difficult situation at work. I am a deputy in a large school, where another deputy was promoted over me as interim head of school. There were question marks about the way the process was carried out. I am looking for jobs elsewhere. The head of school is being very obstructive about allowing me to speak to my union rep (has to be done in my lunch hour, even if I am not timetabled to teach). He is now saying that I can only go and look at schools and attend interviews unpaid. This has not been my experience in other deputy headships (this is my third).

What is normal practice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are not going to like this answer . . .

Not only is your Head entitled to offer you unpaid leave only to attend interviews, actually s/he could prevent you going at all in school time . . .

The norm is to allow these absences (unless there is a particular reason not to - 5 staff off with flu that week, for example, or it is your 21st interview this term), but this is only a convention, not a right I'm afraid.

So just be glad that you can go . . . and scroll down the forum list to find Jobseekers and the interview articles . . .

Best wishes

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You are not going to like this either, but head teachers are not obliged to allow union officers on to school premises to represent or meet with members (other than in disciplinary hearings) or meet with a union group.

It is not morally right, but if you are permitted to attend an interview without pay, consider that a bonus.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just to add to the above - time off in school time to go and "look" at other schools is not and has never been "normal practice".