1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for interviews/handing in notice-need help please!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by littlemisstickles, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I really could do with some advice! I am currently in a full time TA role in a Year 6 class, however I have decided that after the Summer I would like to work in a different school in a different age group. I have found it very challenging in this class (which I know has helped me in a lot of ways!) but I really would like to start a fresh somewhere new in September. My contract technically 'runs out' in July and is 'subject to renewal'. My questions are:
    1) I would like to start applying for jobs for September soon, where would I stand with time off for interviews? I know if I was lucky enough to get an interview, it may be during school time and I don't know how to approach this. I want to be honest, obviously but I don't know who to ask!
    2) If I want to leave in July (i.e; last day of term July 22nd), when do I have to hand my notice in? (And do I have to if my contract ends anyway?)
    3) What do I put as my leaving date, 31st August?
    I really could do with advice because whilst I want to be respectful to the school and be honest, I am really not happy where I am and I haven't been for some time which is why I would like to start somewhere new in September.
    Many thanks,
    Tickles.

2. Hi everyone,
    I really could do with some advice! I am currently in a full time TA role in a Year 6 class, however I have decided that after the Summer I would like to work in a different school in a different age group. I have found it very challenging in this class (which I know has helped me in a lot of ways!) but I really would like to start a fresh somewhere new in September. My contract technically 'runs out' in July and is 'subject to renewal'. My questions are:
    1) I would like to start applying for jobs for September soon, where would I stand with time off for interviews? I know if I was lucky enough to get an interview, it may be during school time and I don't know how to approach this. I want to be honest, obviously but I don't know who to ask!
    2) If I want to leave in July (i.e; last day of term July 22nd), when do I have to hand my notice in? (And do I have to if my contract ends anyway?)
    3) What do I put as my leaving date, 31st August?
    I really could do with advice because whilst I want to be respectful to the school and be honest, I am really not happy where I am and I haven't been for some time which is why I would like to start somewhere new in September.
    Many thanks,
    Tickles.

3. 3) Always, always put 31st August as your leaving date so that you make sure your holiday entitlement is included. (I have known people to put the end of term date in July and then have difficulty getting their holiday money).
    2) In theory, you can hand in your notice on 31st July in view of (3). But that would be unfair (I have known people to do that though, on getting their replacement job in July). Surely though, if your contract 'runs out', notice is not required - you just have to let HT know you don't want it renewed? Could be an awkward one if they wat you to confirm continuing in September before you have another job.
    1) Time off for interviews shouldn't be a problem unless you want to go to lots.