1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time off for graduation

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hockeysticks, Aug 7, 2011.

1. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

Hi, I am hoping to get a job overseasto start in september 2012. However would I would like to attend my daughters graduation, which will probably take place mid week of the 2nd week in october in the uk. According to some of the term dates I have looked at this is likely to be the week before half term. Would schools allow me the time off unpaid? or is it likely to be refused all together? would be nice to have an idea before I start applying for jobs.
    Thanks

2. hockeysticks

Hi, I am hoping to get a job overseasto start in september 2012. However would I would like to attend my daughters graduation, which will probably take place mid week of the 2nd week in october in the uk. According to some of the term dates I have looked at this is likely to be the week before half term. Would schools allow me the time off unpaid? or is it likely to be refused all together? would be nice to have an idea before I start applying for jobs.
    Thanks

3. That's easy.
    Dreadful schools will say 'no'. [​IMG]
    Middle of the road schools will say 'yes', but unpaid. [​IMG]
    And top schools will say 'yes', and still pay you. [​IMG]
    I'm sorry this hasn't helped you a jot, unless one of your first questions at interview is this issue; on answer you will know what sort of school you might be joining.

4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

FP's reply is spot on if you ask me and can be generalised to most situations regarding how your employer treats you. "You get what you get paid for"

5. Dax

Dax

Can' beat the above quote. Any school worth working for would say "Yes, off you go and have a good time - it's a once in a lifetime situation and you're going to come back happy; which will translate into good outcomes". Or whatever. You get my drift.

6. Make sure you mention it early, either at Interview or when offered job. Good luck!

7. hockeysticks

Excellent, thanks for all the comments they are very helpful. I have a short list of schools in the middle and top tier who I think will be advertising posts I would like to apply for so it is good to know what to expect. I will mention it when offered the job, not much point mentioing it before. If I am really lucky it will coincide with half term!