1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for dependents

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by chat_noir, May 6, 2020.

1. chat_noir

chat_noir New commenter

I currently work full time in a secondary school and am really worried about what I’m going to do with my small child (pre school age) if we should go back before the summer holidays.

There is literally no one that could have him. All the childminders near me are booked full, the childminder I am supposed to have isn’t taking key workers kids and his grandparents are vulnerable.

I’ve seen on the NEU website that I can take up to 12 days off for dependents so do you think my school will have to let me have that time when I explain my difficulties?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Can your child's other parent (or their family) help? If not, and no child care IS available, I'd explain the situation to your HT and ask for their advice. Maybe they'll know of suitable child care. If not, they'll understand you are unable to work & why.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You will just have to take the time off, won't you, if school goes back and you have no child care. Not much the school can do about it. If they try and make life difficult for you about it, then contact your union. Of course, they might not pay you...

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's possible the childminder may change once schools are going back, but it's probably worth giving your head the heads up now that you may have a problem if the school goes back before the childminder. They may have ideas. Maybe if there are two or three of you in the same boat, some sort of mutual arrangement would enable you each to work some days.

Morninglover likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not sure where the 12 days comes from, but perhaps there is something official which I have not seen. The rules for emergency time off are here. https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants . But even though this is an emergency for you, I don't think it counts as one in law as you know about the problem already. However, you probably are entitled to at least four weeks parental leave. https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave

Either way, sadly, they don't have to pay you. Employers might be a bit more generous due to current circumstance. And there might be legislation to help you, although I don't know of any at the moment.