1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off for children

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by NQT1986, Apr 30, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Hmm, tricky. We aren't allowed paid time off to look after our children when they are ill (teachers or LSAs). If it's serious eg your child is in hospital, the decision is made by the governors. We can have unpaid time to look after our children, but obviously it's a pain if this happens a lot.

How much time off are you talking?

2. Last school year I had 16 days off altogether which I realise is alot but the year before my kids got 100% attendance! I don't expect to be paid for it and my partner has put in holiday days to care for them but he only has 4 'floating' days he can use. Unfortunately I don't have other family members to take my children and no childminder will take them when they are ill.
    I understand there are set triggers and procedures to go through but what I object to is being told I shouldn't have a job if I have nowhere to send my sick children.

3. Sometimes when you have had above a certain amount of time off it triggers an automatic meeting with HR. Are you sure this isn't the case? It may be this and you might not have anything to worry about.
    If not then I think that you should speak to a union rep and get them in the meeting with you.

4. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I suppose, when the head/governors compare your high absence with someone who has no time off for dependents, it doesn't look great and they feel it may impact on the children you are working with. I sympathise, though.

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

The school I work at is fantastic.If we need to take time for our children we just work extra hours to make up.Nobody takes advantage,it's all very amicable. Have you asked if this is a possibility for you?

6. I have made up the time on occasion but when both my kids were off nearly a week each with flu its too much time to be made up as I can only fit in (for childcare reasons!) an extra hour per day.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have spoken to my union rep and she will attend the meeting with me although I still don't know yet when the meeting is.