1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time off for ante-natal care

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tangit, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I am under the impression that we are allowed paid time off for any appointments to midwife/gp/hospital (of course) but also for any classes our midwives recommend e.g. aquanatal or pre-natal yoga. Is this correct and has anyone done this? How was it received by school? Any gripes?
    Last pregnancy I went to aquanatal at the local swimming pool and it coincided with my lunchtime and PPA afternoon so it was not an issue for my HT. This time round (different school), the classes are only mid-morning or afternoon so I'd need the time off. I really want to attend as I felt them to be so relaxing and beneficial but worried I might rock the boat - even if legally (?) they have to allow me time off for this.
    Any experience of this?

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

In my 1st pregnancy my school were absolutely fine about me having time off for my midwife appointments, antenatal classes (i did 5, all on a Tues afternoon) and didn't even ask to see proof of my appointments. I wouldn't have asked to do yoga or aquanatal or anything, unless I suppose my midwife had specifically said it would be beneficial. I went to the gym, swimming etc in my own time anyway.
    In my 2nd pregnancy they were stricter with it all, and because I was part time then they kind of expected me to make any appointments on my days off. I did leave early a couple of times for a midwife appt, but I only missed a free period.
    You're definitely entitled to appointments, but I would be careful about the aquanatal, yoga etc.

3. Tangit, I think you are correct that you can request time off for classes if your midwife "prescribes" that you go, but not if she mentions in passing that there are classes you could attend. (I know prescribes isn't really the right word, but it was the best I could find!)

4. I was told by my midwife and a member of SMT that you are entitled to time of for pregnancy exercise classes if there is no alternative time. Midwife appointments and antenatal sessions are definitely OK

5. RKM

RKM

My midwife is only at the surgery every weds afternoon. Once I bought a letter in from the dr's to confirm this they were fine with me making the appointments on the same day.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I agree. I would never have dreamt of asking for time off to exercise! It is more beneficial to you to exercise than for the baby, but that can be said for anyone, pregnant or not!
    I found time to go to the gym when I was pregnant and had a toddler at home, although to be honest i felt so shattered I didn't go that often. I went loads in my first pregnancy, after school and at the weekend as I had done prior to getting pregnant. Both my children are very healthy, it makes no difference to them if you gym 5 times a week or not!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Same here, good luck!

8. I have a similar question - not for excersise classes but for an Antenatal class (NCT) I booked on one course that was all evenings and weekends - jobs a good'un, or so i thought! Turns out it finishes too close to my expected due date and it was recommended that i attend a different class. The new class has a womens only session from 10-12pm on a friday. I know that we are allowed antenatal appoinments (for scans/midwife etc) but what about these kind of classes.
    This is my first baby.
    Many thanks and fingers crossed LittleMissCurious

9. I think you're fine for actual antenal classes. How many weeks are they running?
    I had the same problem with NHS antenatal, the hospital tour was too close to my due date so I have been put on the hospital tour of the previous group and doing lesson 3 then 1 and 2.

10. Thanks Kritur

It's just the one friday. Just don't want to ask then be told no, when i've already paid for it

11. I had this with my classes. Everything else was evening or weekend but the women only one was during the day. I think they assumed I'd be able to get the time off work becasue it's pregnancy related. I just told my head it was an essential birth prep class and no more questions were asked.

12. cra13

cra13 New commenter

Does anybody know about a breast feeding class? These are only ran during the day and with it bn my 1st child I'm quite apprehensive about it do I really want to go. Am I allowed to go???

13. I know you might feel a bit uncomfortable asking for the extra time off for this kind of thing (I know I do) but just ask. It's the kind of thing that your midwife would recommend. I've found it helps if I have a headed letter to wave under the cover managers nose.

14. What I meant was "In response to", then, not "in answer to". I do apologise. Re: eating healthily and exercising, eating healthily certainly benefits your child much more than you exercising in my opinion. I still don't think pregnancy gives a person the right to paid time off work to exercise, as I said before. Not doing extra curricular activities is an entirely different kettle of fish as they are not compulsory and I agree that you are well within your rights to not do them, as you have children at home.