1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time off as caregiver?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by THEYOUNGBARD, Nov 18, 2017.

1. THEYOUNGBARD

THEYOUNGBARD New commenter

My parents live next door and my mother is currently awaiting a stem cell transplant for leukaemia. Parents are both in their 70's. Been told Mum will need 24/7 care for three months after transplant. She will be in isolation at home for this period due to risk of infection being major. I'm a full time primary teacher and wonder if I can take this time off as a caregiver as my Dad won't be able to cope alone? I couldn't afford to do this without pay. Is this something schools would consider or are there any laws to support this request? Thank you.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I doubt you will get this with pay, possibly not even without if hard to replace you. is it possible for your dad to do this with some support.

3. THEYOUNGBARD

THEYOUNGBARD New commenter

Thanks for the reply. Dad could do some caring with support but that support would have to be me. They wouldn't quality for financial assistance for a carer but also, as Mum isn't currently able to work, couldn't afford to fund this themselves. It seems this is, sadly, where we as a nation fall down. We don't acknowledge the importance of caring for family members in a crisis such as this.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I should hope not if she's in her 70's

You Dad should be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I also was thinking carers allowance, or someone else coming in to support your dad.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Weald56 and lindenlea like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm guessing your parents have assets ie a home but a low income. I think citizens advice is a good idea. I don't think you'll get time off with pay and frankly I don't think that is a reasonable expectation. Time off without pay could be worth asking for but I don't think you have any right to that. Could you go part time?

I have a feeling that it might be better to work out something for your mum and dad that doesn't include you as a carer. It muddies the water a bit, and if you are officially recognised as part of the caring set up it might deprive your parents of other support. That doesn't stop you from acting as a loving daughter, but one with a full time occupation.

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Laws? No, the only laws on rights to time off deal with short term emergencies, and even then it's unpaid.

Could school consider a request? Well yes, it could consider any request of this sort so you could ask but as others have posted I'm sure they will say no. Even if unpaid (because even unpaid gives them a problem with replacing you, they can't recruit a permanent teacher if you might return in a term's time).

What about the suggestion of going part-time?

https://www.tes.com/news/blog/guide-going-part-time