1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time limitations on Spoken Language unit of AQA Eng Lang GCSE?

Discussion in 'English' started by Overthehedge, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I've heard that no more than 30% of teaching time in any one week can be spent on the spoken language unit - but I can't find anything to back this up. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Sounds bonkers to me! And anyway, who would police that?
    When we did our SL unit, we spent 100% of the teaching time in that period on it - what else would you do???
    I think we were scheduled for 3 weeks + CA time...that came from some AQA document that the KS4 bod used to plan the course.

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

They're just guidelines. I think we had 4 weeks + CA time - didn't stop one colleague getting fed up of it, and, in week 3, deciding to spend one lesson a week making a head start on the Literature poetry unit. ;-)

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

No one can tell you how long to spend on each assessment - just pace yourself right to get the whole thing done!
    I spent very little time on the SLS. Then I spent far too long on the ELH piece.
    My group got quite good marks for the Spoken Language study, and pretty poor marks for the Shakespeare and ELH task. I think the amount of time spent was irrelevant: the fact is that the ELH task is difficult and complex, and the SLS stuff is actually pretty simple.

5. manc

manc New commenter

Agreed.
    That ELH assignment IMO is the most complex, unhelpful, diffuse and Byzantine piece of coursework I have ever had the misfortune to try to teach and assess. No wonder schools are leaping on to the IGCSE bandwagon.

6. Thanks all! Couldn't see that it made any sense...

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've now got to redo ELH as a new piece with someone who is now only doing English - the new piece is ELH + Extended reading. Genius! :-(