1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time limit on starting supply work after graduating

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by laura_costello, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hi, I am an NQT who graduated in the summer 2010. I haven't started any teaching work yet as I am going to be living abroad for a year working as a TEFL teacher. I was wondering if when I come back from my year abroad if I could start supply work before completing my induction year? I know there is a 16 month time limit for supply teaching before starting your induction year but does this count even if I have not started any teaching work, supply or other?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No [​IMG] Have fun x

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you start non-Induction supply teaching before going abroad, your 16 month supply allowance will have expired by the time you get back. At that point, you will either need an LA extension (12 months are possible but not guaranteed) to continue taking non-Induction supply teaching OR you will have to wait until you can get Induction work before returning to a State 5-16 school classroom.
    As you have TEFL year abroad planned (soon?) it might make sense to delay starting your 16 month supply allowance until your return.
    If you are not going abroad for a year or so, you might want to start supply teaching before going.
    If you take Cover Supervisor or TA work (contract or supply basis) in State 5-16 schools, it will NOT start your 16 month supply allowance ticking down.
    The 16 months has nothing to do with when you qualified and is not a time limit to be used up within a certain 'window' after qualifying. You could take another job entirely for years and then make use of your 16 month Supply allowance as a way of getting into teaching.
    You may, of course, secure a post that allows you to start and complete Induction (contract or supply ... maternity cover perhaps) and may never need to make use of the 16 month supply allowance. Once Induction has been passed, you can do supply for as long as you like, with no restrictions.