1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time lapse video on a camera?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jun 26, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Anyone done this? I've looked on Google, but it all seems to be i-Phone apps. I have a Panasonic Lumix. I would attempt it on my phone, but it just don't have enough memory.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That one's no use for me - I saw it in my Google search. :-( I don't have the settings he talks about. The camera's a different Lumix model (has a different number on it)
    Thanks though.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I guess I'll just film it and then edit afterwards the primitive way. :)

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Or maybe I won't bother. Seems a lot of hassle tbh.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I assume that if yours is a model other than the Lumix G6, GH4, GH3, GX7 or GM1 then you don't have the inbuilt facility.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yes - there's no timelapse option in the settings. I just wondered if any camera people had any clever tips.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Probably a bit of a niche and non-Brexit related subject for TES these days, but you never know!

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Can you set your camera on a timer or is there an easy timer adaptor (or mobile phone app for controlling the camera) that you could use?
    I've managed this with a fairly ordinary camera using both an internal feature but also a cheap, plug in timer. My phone also controls my newer wifi camera.

Maybe this? (haven't used it,but it's mentioned on the blog which I used the first time i tried a time-laps)

App here https://www.camerafv5.com/

Blog here http://joegiampaoli.blogspot.com/2015/04/creating-time-lapse-videos-mostly-in.html
    The blog is linux based but the method would be the same whatever system you're using.

ETA sorry, just realised the prob with the phone is memory not capability.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    coffeekid likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Thanks, @sparkleghirl . Yeah - my phone keeps telling me it's out of memory. I only have two or three apps on it! And I've deleted a whole load of photos.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

How long would you want to record? You could get the same effect by recording as a video and moving the slider bar when you playback on your pc. Lots of choices after that, but easiest would be to use a free screen recorder such as Flasback Express or similar to record it as you move the slider.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It would be to record a painting being painted. I love timelapse painting videos and thought I'd give it a go. Could be a few hours, could be more. Thanks @colpee .

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

What's your camera coffeekid? Which lumix is it?

PS the video is good, but makes me think how on earth can you paint a portrait of someone who won't sit still?

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@sparkleghirl - it's a DMC FS45

Am watching Sky Portrait Artist of the Year, and while I love it I'm also coming out in hives at the thought of painting in public like that and the fact that so many of the sitters move around so much!

cissy3 likes this.
  16. sparkleghirl

Hmm, No sign of any way to do it on that camera unless you rig the camera up and get someone to manually click it every once in a whie......

Does your phone allow you to add an extra memory card so you can save photos to that? Or can you run some kind of diagnostic app to find out what's taking up all your memory?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Big SD card and set camera to save to it.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Buy a new camera?

chelsea2 likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Buy a second hand camera?

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You can get a remote controller for some cameras that will take a still picture at a fixed interval, for example every second. It will however need the right socket available on the camera, and I'm not sure if your Lumix has that. Even if you succeed you may find that some video editing software will grind to a halt trying to process multiple still images. Window Movie Maker certainly used to.

Far easier (but possibly some extra expense) is attach a USB webcam to your computer and find a (preferably free) software package that records time lapse video. I've done that, albeit a few years ago. I'm thinking in terms of those things that looked like an eyeball on a cable, by Logitech or whoever. So long as they're compatible with your current operating system it should work.

Another option, find an 'old school' video camcorder that offers a time lapse facility, record the movie on 'old school' video tape, then transfer it to your computer or HDD recorder using some sort of adapter cable/gizmo. Plenty of tape formats to choose from - maybe you know someone who has one in the attic.