1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time in lieu for missed breaks?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by helen3, May 25, 2012.

1. Our teaching assistants are not paid for their breaks. However on one day per week they often accompany children on outings which last the whole morning. Occasionally this means they do not get their coffee break. I have always allowed them to leave my class 15 minutes early at the end of the day, however I am now advised that this may no longer be allowed. Does anyone else have a policy on how breaks should be paid back?

2. Why can't this be allowed anymore?
    Can they hav 15 minuets extra at lunch time or come in 15 minutes later in the morning?
    Wren

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

In other words your assistants are not due or entitled to have a break (I think that is tru from what you have said, it certainly is at my school)
    So . . .
    As good colleagues you try and give them a break every day even though they are not entitled to have one.
    Then occasionally they miss this 'break' that is given out of goodwill and not entitlement.
    There is no need for any policy on how you pay back something that isn't due.
    Don't get me wrong I think it very good practice that they are given breaks - but they shouldn't be assumed or 'replaced' when missed occasionally

It gives 'goodwill' a bad name to complain when you don't get it

4. I read it as that your TAs are entitled to a break everyday but not paid for this break and that on one day each week they are out of school, this meaning that they are supervising a pupil/s. You are being very fair allowing them to leave 15 minutes early, and don't see why this can't continue.

My school do pay TAs for their playtime break, but if I was was on a school trip I would not expect to be paid for the lunchtime when I was supervising a group of children.

As a TA I have usually found that most TAs work over and above their hours either before or after school, at lunch break, or playtime breaks. I have always looked at this as goodwill for if I have to take one of my own children to an appointment

5. The OP said it was an unpaid break, not a goodwill gesture & they can do what they like with their break time. If they did not have the 15min break, they would have a later start or earlier finish.
    We all end up loosing our breaks on the odd ocasion & probably not complain, but a regular loss should be repaid.
    Perhaps they should ask for overtime if they can't claim the time back - faced with the prospect of having to dole out more dosh, most HTs would insist they leave early!!

6. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

you are right of course - if the break is an entitlement thay should have it or of they can't something should be put in place to re pay it . . . . .I've just been doing this for nearly 30 years and never known an assistant contract which gave a break in that way so feel it is unlikely. Clearly in this instance I could be wrong

7. In my school we are not paid for breaks, our hours do not include them so you take 20 minutes unpaid. We do cover a playground duty and to be honest I just do it plus many more hours a week unpaid. My contract is for the whole year so I do get lots of holiday which is paid so it would seem stingy to make a fuss.

8. I assume the 'lots of holiday..paid' is not for the whole time you are not at school, but for about 2-3 weeks as is your entitlement in law? (actual amount of hol for the number of hours you work per year can be found via searches). If you have more paid holiday than your entitlement, then good for you - but unlikely given that you are not even being given a paid tea break by your employer. Having approx. 43 week pay spread equally over the whole year, ie 12 equal monthly payments, is not the same as being paid for 52 weeks - as teaching contracts are. Most support staff on term time contracts are paid pro rata nowadays.
    Unfortunately, every worker who willingly gives up their unpaid breaks or stays beyond their paid day on a regular basis leads to an expectation that everyone in a similar job should do the same and it gets looked on badly when they will not stay.

9. I am paid 52 weeks per year just as a teacher. All our level 3 and 4s are paid in the same way. Level 1 and 2s are paid term time only. So yes I do have lots of paid holiday and I do work lots of extra hours a week to make up for that. It is expected and I can understand why.

10. OK then, that's a fair way to play it.
    My reason for checking with you was because I have found at my school that some term time only staff think they are paid all year, when they are actually only paid for term time + hols, but have pay spread over the year.

11. TAs at my school (most part time) are paid for 'break' although the majority manage to grab a cup of coffee and a trip to the toilet many do not actually take a 'break'. We are expected to cover first aid, playground duty, snack trolley, supervising groups-librarians, gardeners, voucher counters, Committee, etc and 'fight' for the photocopier to print work and set up for their intervention groups.
    Those who complete tasks outside their paid hours are taken for granted with comments similar to 'give one for the team' when they don't and make those who work only their paid hours look bad. If more work needs completing then hours should be extended.
    Level 1 and 2 TAs are paid term time plus legal holidays which leaves at least 8 weeks per year unpaid, which are spread equally over 12 months.