1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

time for paperwork

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by needy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. needy

needy New commenter

Can anybody tell me how long it takes them to put together an EHCP referral? I know it is quicker than the last referral form for a statement, but I am interested to know roughly how long it takes people to do this and do any of you have time given for this paperwork. Also, how long does it take you to put together an SEN Support plan. Thanks, N

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

The paperwork is a process that ideally should be filled in over a period of time in the form of a Pathway Plan. This should reflect the journey that the child or Young Person has been on which has led to the decision that they have a high level need that can't be met within school based resources. However I have done a couple of emergency EHCPs. They take several hours. It pays to be very thorough. Take time to work with parents and get the opinion of the child. Make sure that the targets you set are reflected in your provision map, which should clearly indicate how many hours and what the cost will be of ensuring those targets can be achieved. The cost should total more than £10,000 per year, as below that, the school is responsible for 'footing the bill.'