1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a wealth tax to pay for the costs of the pandemic?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, May 29, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

When the gap between rich and poor widens too much, history clearly shows bloodshed is not long in coming.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Well that's an unquestionably direct reason to support a welfare state... it should catch anyone thinking it is a waste of money... cost of army/police action to keep order Vs benefits... a no brainer.

... it beats Geldof shouting "give me your money" ... or the same words from someone trying to have your wallet.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The taxman always has your wallet and always before you have your wallet:);) Which is why I think a single tax on income to cover all needs, with no UK resident/business/business owner/Company exceptions is the fairest way. What that percentage is I do not know but if you accumulate the taxes both direct and indirect that most of us pay, the full percentage is shocking.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

No VAT, no inheritance tax, no CGT, no CT. I think you need to do the sums.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just adjust the percentage to accommodate.