1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a wealth tax to pay for the costs of the pandemic?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, May 29, 2020.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If we all paid the same % of income how is that unfair?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

25% of an income of, say, £15K leaves you struggling on the breadline after rent, food etc. 25% of an income of £100K leaves you rich. A flat income tax will lead to more people being forced into poverty, and increased social violence.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Those on low wage/income will automatically pay less due to their low income.
    Just because you are on a low income does not mean you must get everything for free.
    Welfare, health care, etc costs us all, all should pay IMO and in proportion to their income. That is the only fair way to do it. It cannot be sustainable otherwise.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How do teachers pay for houses that cost one million pounds?

I'll move into one at half that price and live the life of Reilly

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Just because you are rich should not mean you have the ability to do "creative" accounting, get employed "offshore", work here but be "domiciled" somewhere else, salt your dosh away in British tax havens, and generally dodge paying any tax at all.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I 100% agree with you.
    All must pay their share, no dodgy deals for anyone, rich, poor, royalty, titled, foreign nationals, etc.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Foreign nationals must pay to rebuild the UK economy post coronavirus? Why?

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Through taxation just like now in every country throughout the world. You pay taxes for a reason, being a foreign national living and working in the UK is not a reason to not pay tax.

9. Rott Weiler

You just said foreign nationals had to pay. Nothing about where they lived. :rolleyes:

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Foreign nationals living and working in the UK do pay tax.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A wealth tax is the resort of the economically illiterate.

Oh, the ideas from the Guardian... rest my case.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Did I say it was?

Once again some people appear to think that people who have lower incomes (they tend not to specify amounts) should be subsidised by those who who have higher incomes and its not fair if this is not done.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think tax must be proportionate to income otherwise it is unfair on all tax payers. There should be no tax avoidance just because a person is able to employ smart accountants. Tax has to be non negotiable, if otherwise, it always penalises the poorest.

needabreak and Mangleworzle like this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

So they should, they benefit from living in the UK.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Weird.
    I said they should pay if they live and work in the UK.

16. Rott Weiler

A bizarre thing to say when the evidence is in the thread for all to see! You never said anything about living and working in the UK and I didn't understand it that way. Your post that I replied to said

But you have clarified what you meant so no need for further discussion.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

See #68

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I thought what lexus said was pretty self-evident, if anyone thought he meant people in other countries with no connection to the UK I think it says more about their misinterpretation.

baitranger and lexus300 like this.
  19. Rott Weiler

I've seen it. You posted it after I asked my question. That's why my post is #67 !

Are you just arguing for the sake of it now? I'll play for a bit if you've nothing better to do but there's something I want to watch on TV shortly so you'll have to play by yourself after that.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

No and you know that. Still how about this: