1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a re-think?

Discussion in 'Music' started by superlocrian, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I've had my heart set on teaching music since I was 17, and it was the reason for me studying for a music degree. I now see that music is under threat in the curriculum, is it worth training to be a secondary music teacher this year? Or should I train for post-compulsory instead?

2. I've had my heart set on teaching music since I was 17, and it was the reason for me studying for a music degree. I now see that music is under threat in the curriculum, is it worth training to be a secondary music teacher this year? Or should I train for post-compulsory instead?

4. Don't listen to John's prophecies of Doom. Schools will still be employing music teachers in five years time and we will still be deftly avoiding teaching the ludicrous nation curriculum (which will probably have had its 5th revision by them - I gave up on it at revision 2) and instead doing what the hell we like and then teacing a totally out of character "Observation Lesson" when an inspector calls.
    It's great! I love it! However I would give any youngish person thinking about going into teaching and that is you should avoid going straight from school to uni to teacher training. Get out into the real world and away from the cosseted (sp?) world of education for a while. Do a proper job first - the experience will help you when you come face to face with your own students.

5. casper

casper New commenter

It will help you, but no one will thank you for or indeed use any experience you come into teaching with. Sadly, I did do someting else before teaching I have experience that would be invaluable, but it is ignored.There is an interesting article on the bbc site today under education. It names those who are going to be on the review panel. We have to have a voice and do something. I cannot just sit back adn watch this happen. If schools have any sense they will value music and recognise the importance of the wider skills taught that compliment other subjects. However, if it is league table driven and the English Bacc is going to be used to measure progress that may mean that Head teachers feel that they have to go donw a certain route.

6. Thanks! I've taken a year out so far from university and before that I took 2 years out to tour in europe and the uk, and release albums in HMV. Just finished a good session job for someone from Cradle of Filfth. Coming up to 24 now which I think is good because the age gap between sixth form and most NQTs is quite low.
    I will still be applying once I've got my GCSE Maths results through as I had to redo it.

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Super, follow your heart! My position was very similar to yours and I would agree that time between education establishments can only be a good thing. (My problem was my English, which I had to have 3 attempts at before passing - I suffered a near fatal head injury when I was 16, and was more determind to follow my dream after people telling me I couldn't do it)
    You could always tutor privately while waiting for a school post, but my advice to you is go for it!
    Lots of luck!!
    [​IMG]

8. Of course they will! I don't seem to recall saying that they wouldn't be. My prediction is that less schools will be doing this and that a systematic, coherent and developmental music education for all pupils in our state schools will be a thing of the past. We can see this happening already and other people on this forum have shared similar thoughts.
    Prophet of doom? Maybe. In fact, as I've said on many occasions, I hope I'm wrong. But I'm trying to open a few eyes to what the consequences are of some of these policies. Perhaps these effects are unintentional? Who knows.
    But I'm prepared to stand up under my own name and tell people what I think. No one will be happier than me if, in five year's time, music education is blossoming in all our schools.
    As an aside, I think your attitude towards the National Curriculum is truly shocking. It may be one reason why we are facing a crisis of the sort we are facing today.

9. I like that! Someone after my own heart! Top rate posting.

10. And I bet Rockmeamadeus is a great music teacher.

11. He or she may be the best music teacher that has walked the face of this planet. That's not really the point. Just because Rockmeamadeus doesn't feel the need for a National Curriculum, that the teaching he/she does is trail-blazing and all is well in his/her school regarding Music and its provision on the timetable, doesn't mean that others aren't facing tremendous difficulties. One of the legitimate problems facing music teachers is that they are so busy doing excellent work that it is difficult to get a broader picture of what is going on. This is why forums like this are so useful and it is great to hear everyone's viewpoints on these vital issues for music education.

12. I think we can do no more than hang on and actually see what is going to happen. (We may even be surprised!)

13. I'm also looking at becoming a Music Teacher, and have wanted to do so since i was 16.
    I've worked so hard over the last year to try and get ready for an application, and nothing has come of it.
    I'm not really keen on the idea of PGCE, I feel that for me i've had enough of the 'university thing' and want to get on the job. The deadline for the GTP was today... and I had no sponsor school so couldn't apply.
    I feel my chances of doing this are really fading... and can't decide if it's because i'm stubborn over the PGCE, or that there is no money (Thanks Gov(e)!!).
    What can we do to get in to the profession at this time? It is seemingly impossible at the moment!

14. Where in the UK are you? Because in Kent the GTP vacancies have only just started to be announced in schools. With the full published posts on the unversity website in Februrary. Perhaps you could find a school that is advertising a post? Why are you against a PGCE?

15. Hi superlocrian!

I'm looking for placement in Cambridgeshire really, and the GTP doesn't advertise vacancies, candidates are encouraged to go out and find their own sponsoring schools.
    I'm now looking for schools advertising posts starting in September with the hope they will employ me as an instructor and then train me on the 80:20 programme in 2012/13.
    Only against the PGCE as i'd like to take what seems to be the more practical approach. I'm not necessarily against the PGCE wholeheartedly, I'd just prefer to train on the job. Also, there are not really any Music PGCE providers in Cambs, which doesn't help matters!

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The University of Cambridge will be puzzled to hear that! (Or is it primary music that you're after?)

17. There's always the Open University but I think you have to find your own school for it.

18. I'd managed to convince myself I'd never get in to Cambridge! However, having looked again (posting my previous message prompted me!) I realise they only want a 2:1. Still time for me to get a first yet anyway! Thanks for helping me re-focus! I'm thinking that if I want to teach enough, which I do, then I should dive in to the Pgce route.
    Cheers!

19. <font size="3"> I would have to disagree with you there matlilda92. Where&rsquo;s this evidence that the PGCE is better than the GTP?I know from my experience of the GTP that I was a lot more prepared for the NQT year than any other NQT in the school (there was 9 of us during my year). Many PGCE students have often turned around to me and stated that they didn't find the PGCE trained them well enough for actual school situations at all. </font> I also know many teachers who just can&rsquo;t teach and they have many university degrees. They can&rsquo;t engage with the students or teach clearly so learning objectives are not learnt. Some people can have all the training in the world but it may not make you a great teacher (that is a reference to those who take PGCE and GTP). For me, I believe the GTP was excellent and with the right school and mentor, one could be an excellent teacher.

20. I rest my case