1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a change

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by seaviews, Oct 3, 2015.

1. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

Hello,
    I've been a teacher for 18 years but I don't want to do it any more and have decided it's time to leave the profession.
    It's not because I can't teach, it's because it's wearing me out.
    I feel sad and angry that I've reached this decision because, as arrogant as it sounds, I am a really good teacher! I have consistently been judged as 'outstanding' by inspectors, managers, colleagues; my students like me, they enjoy my lessons and their results are amazing. I get on really well with all my colleagues and my managers BUT suddenly I am tired of it all and have had enough.
    The recent changes to GCSE and A level along with all the new Ofsted requirements have been the final straw. At this stage in my career I feel I should be able to reap some benefit from all the skills I've acquired and the relationships I've built up, but instead I have to spend hours and hours reinventing the wheel, sitting for hours and hours in front of a computer planning lessons and making new resources. I've been through too many changes too many times already and I now no longer have the motivation (or the energy) to do it all again.
    I am a long way from retirement so what shall I do with the rest of my working life?
    Has anyone any advice about how and where I should start, please?
    Thanking you in hopefulness.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Blimey, piece of string job! You need to tell us a lot more about yourself - degree(s), other interesting qualifications, skills, interests, etc, location, things you'd love to do and those you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, however long your piece of string is, perhaps you will see something in this document that I am attaching which rings a bell. If you teach Latin it will be different from if you teach maths, of course.

They are careers which build on the skills that you have developed over the years as a teacher.

But, as MM says, you need to identify very clearly what are your qualifications, interests, ideas about your career. Once you have got this straight in your head, you might well wish to branch out and consider something very different.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think it would be fair to point out that the willingness to work with change is a feature of many alternative careers.
    I've never encountered as many different changes and developments at work as I have since I left teaching - I appreciate of course that this will also be mirrored in teaching since I left.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Changes happen in all jobs. The above poster is right. Don't live in a workplace bubble if you do look to go. See what it is like outside of teaching before you make any commitments.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

18 years is an incredible amount of time to be a teacher and I can understand how weary you must be. I don't have the fraction of work you have, but I am exhausted at the end of a teaching day with large classes of challenging students working as a supply teacher.

Sometimes it is wisdom to say you need a change even if it might involve a drop in income. Start with the advice given above and maybe get some books on career change to find out what questions to ask yourself about what you want to do in view of your qualifications and experience and whether or not you could retrain and take some courses.

Later on you can always do supply teaching even if it is amfew years from now. Think about multiple income streams too: maybe instead of having one main job, you might have 3 part time jobs or businesses. I have a network marketing business which I do alongside supply and I know teachers who do supply and have other businesses too.

Best wishes for your new venture and let us know how you get on with it all.

ilovesooty likes this.
  7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'd consider getting some professional careers advice if you're looking at career change.

It's free through the National Careers Service.

8. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

Hello and thank you all for your replies.

Middlemarch, I'm an English and humanities teacher but I have taught most subjects including maths. I've been a middle manager, head of dept, head of year, teacher trainer. I can paint (pictures and decorating houses,) garden, build walls, I have a number of sport instructor certificates, I can type at 100+ words a minute, I run mindfulness courses, I know loads about the environment, I have a counselling qualification, I run am-dram courses and I am pretty good at organising events. I don't want to move because I live by the sea and I don't need much money to get by.

Theo, thanks for the document. It'll give me some ideas (and btw, I always thought you were a man. Don't know why!)

ilovesooty (I love Sooty too!), I am not resistant to change, I thrive on it. The problem I have is that the so-called 'changes' in teaching never really improve teaching and learning. They are usually (always) political. Plus I've been teaching for so long that I can see that the 'changes' aren't actually changes at all. We just go back to how it was done in the past. In teaching the past gets repeated again and again, nothing ever really changes at all. And I've had enough of going round in circles.

Pepper5, you've hit the nail on the head. I spent the weekend thinking hard and have decided to reduce my hours at work (they will let me, I've already asked) and find some other part time work to fill the gaps. I don't want a career any more, I don't care about the pension. I want to do lots of different things so am going to see what comes up and try a bit of this and a bit of that.

Everyone, Thank you all for your help.
    What you've all said has made me see things more clearly.

Now I'm going out into the world to see if I can find all those hidden oysters!!