1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time for a change but what?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jemlouisehunt, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jemlouisehunt

jemlouisehunt New commenter

I qualified in 2008 and still after many job applications and interviews, I am yet to secure a position to start my NQT year! I have been doing supply and have been lucky enough to get work in the same schools who request me back, however none of my supply has ever led to anything longer term. I can't continue living off supply work and the uncertainty of whether the phone is going to ring or not.
    Luckily I have another job in an after school club and holiday club however there isn't enough work to rely on in term time.

After 2 years of training at college to become a nursery nurse and get the grades to get into uni, 4 years of uni, 2 years of supply as teacher and nursery nurse and still no closer to getting a permanent position I am now reconsidering my choice of career.

I love teaching however I feel my situation is holding us back. I got engaged Feb 2010 and no closer to setting a date let alone planning anything. I've just had to tell my partner that there is no way we can afford to go abroad due to my wage and I have no life at the moment. I am 26 so not the oldest person ever however I am aware that our longer term plans mean that we need to start saving now.

I don't know where to start in looking for another job. I would love to stay working with children as it is all I've done since I left school, however not sure what other jobs I can use my degree in. I looked at social work, however I can't afford to retrain as one.

Any ideas or advice would be fantastic :)

2. jemlouisehunt

jemlouisehunt New commenter

I qualified in 2008 and still after many job applications and interviews, I am yet to secure a position to start my NQT year! I have been doing supply and have been lucky enough to get work in the same schools who request me back, however none of my supply has ever led to anything longer term. I can't continue living off supply work and the uncertainty of whether the phone is going to ring or not.
    Luckily I have another job in an after school club and holiday club however there isn't enough work to rely on in term time.

After 2 years of training at college to become a nursery nurse and get the grades to get into uni, 4 years of uni, 2 years of supply as teacher and nursery nurse and still no closer to getting a permanent position I am now reconsidering my choice of career.

I love teaching however I feel my situation is holding us back. I got engaged Feb 2010 and no closer to setting a date let alone planning anything. I've just had to tell my partner that there is no way we can afford to go abroad due to my wage and I have no life at the moment. I am 26 so not the oldest person ever however I am aware that our longer term plans mean that we need to start saving now.

I don't know where to start in looking for another job. I would love to stay working with children as it is all I've done since I left school, however not sure what other jobs I can use my degree in. I looked at social work, however I can't afford to retrain as one.

Any ideas or advice would be fantastic :)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you tried GEM for jobs in museums? FE and Universities? Wish I had more advice but as another unemployed 27 year old teacher not too sure myself [​IMG]
    I have started doing wedding stationery though to keep me busy, lol! Congratulations on the engagement x

4. Hi Jem'
    i'm no expert, but just ensure that you don't go over the maximum 16 months you are allowed to work on supply, otherwise you will not be allowed to work in schools again. There are many threads on the TES website about this.
    Keep looking, don't give up, ggod luck!