1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Time allocations and curriculum offerings

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by b_m, Apr 18, 2012.

1. b_m

b_m New commenter

Dear all
    I wonder if people would be kind enough to share their ICT course offering for 2012-13, together with the curriculum time being allocated to it.
    We currently do OCR Nationals with the whole cohort, on 1 hour a week across 2 years. My feeling, with the new Cambridge nationals, is that we won't e able to do this any more, and their is an extra unit required for a single GCSE equivalency, now requiring 120GLH- the current version is 3 units @ 100 GLH.
    I'd be really interested to know what other schools are offering (or planning to offer) and how much time you have allocated to the different courses?
    Thank you for your time.

2. b_m

b_m New commenter

Dear all
    I wonder if people would be kind enough to share their ICT course offering for 2012-13, together with the curriculum time being allocated to it.
    We currently do OCR Nationals with the whole cohort, on 1 hour a week across 2 years. My feeling, with the new Cambridge nationals, is that we won't e able to do this any more, and their is an extra unit required for a single GCSE equivalency, now requiring 120GLH- the current version is 3 units @ 100 GLH.
    I'd be really interested to know what other schools are offering (or planning to offer) and how much time you have allocated to the different courses?
    Thank you for your time.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

GCSE ICT - 2.5 hours per week across two years.
    GCSE Computing, as above.
    Why the big font?

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Cam Nats, 2.5 hours per week over 2 years, You won't be able to do it on 1 hour a week.

5. As above, plus Cam Nats @ 2.5 hours plus iMedia @ 3 hours for a double award (tho will only count as 1 in PTs)

We don't expect we'll be offering Cam Nats next year and I wouldn't dream of offering it on an hour a week.

6. b_m

b_m New commenter

What big font??

7. b_m

b_m New commenter

Oh sorry, same quote, different question.... which GCSE please? Exam board and such.
    Thanks for the info so far.

8. robot1

robot1 New commenter

We will have 50 mins per week for two years to do the single GCSE version.
    This is no way near enough time but our jobs depend on getting it done. So we will. Sure, the grades will reflect this. I imagine most will get a Pass at level 2 (C grade). There will be fewer D's and M's than we are used to. Also no more 100% pass rate. We will fall in line with other subjects in our school and would be surprised if more than about 70% got a C or above.
    The alternative is to complain it can't be done and SLT to say, "Thanks for letting us know, please collect your P45 at the end of the term as there isn't enough teaching for you to keep your job".
    Hard times ahead!

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

The big font that it all came up it for me when I posted, so I edited it, added "Why the big font" then it went back to normal, puzzled me greatly, TES forum issue?
    Anyway the boards we use are....
    GCSE ICT - 2.5 hours per week across two years, EdExcel (because we do their A Level).
    GCSE Computing, as above for time but OCR, we do WJEC A Level.

10. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

How many kids are you teaching? The marking load must be out of control.

11. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I will teach four groups of about 25 in year 10 and about the same in year 11. Yes there is a lot of marking but it is possible (just). I have become a very fast skim-reader.