1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

% time allocation to each area of PE in KS1 & KS1

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by bouncybunny, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bouncybunny

bouncybunny New commenter

Hello,
    I'd be really grateful if anyone had any advice on this issue. Are there any legal requirements- or just guidelines- to allocating how much time, and what percentage of that time, is spent on gym, dance and games in KS1 and gym, dance, games, swimming, athletics and O&A in KS2. Thank you.

2. bouncybunny

Hello,
    I'd be really grateful if anyone had any advice on this issue. Are there any legal requirements- or just guidelines- to allocating how much time, and what percentage of that time, is spent on gym, dance and games in KS1 and gym, dance, games, swimming, athletics and O&A in KS2. Thank you.

3. There has been time in the past when specific guidance was given about this. For example, at one point, it was expected that Games took up half of the timetable, and the other activity areas had to squeeze in the rest.

Now, that guidance seems to have been dropped. AND, there is much less emphasis at KSs 1 and 2on the activity areas altogether. Rather focus on game, dance or gym, schools are encouraged to focus on themes that cut across the whole PE curriculum. This is especially true at KS1.

For example, at KS1, a theme like shape could last all term, and could draw in all areas. This will give a lot more time for learning, progression and continuity, and would be easier in the poor teacher.

At KS2, themes like sequencing movements, working in pairs, and of course The Olympics cpuld take at least a term each, and wouldn't need labels like games, dance and gym.

I hope this helps,

Richard

http://talkingeducationandsport.blogspot.com/

4. bouncybunny

Thanks for your really helpful reply. I hadn't thought about approaching things in that way before but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks again. [​IMG]

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Why should a class has to suffer because the teacher can't be bothered to learn how to teach PE?
    The moment you include 'themes' you are turning PE into a performing art, a totally separate area of the curriculum.
    Take one PE lesson a week - split into 6 blocks of 6 weeks - ATHLETICS (indoor), STRENGTH and FLEXIBILITY (indoor), ENDURANCE (outdoor), HRE (indoor) and ATHLETICS again (outdoor - double block).
    All the athletics and endurance blocks have award schemes from UKA Academy. Strength and Flexibility can be alligned to British Gymnastics awards, and HRE can involve the basic fitness tests - sit and reach,Illionois Agility Test etc.
    Your other PE lesson is GAMES - rugby/hockey, netball/football, cricket/rounders.
    PE should be about competing against yourself and others - you achieve a score then try and beat it. It should not be about making a pretty flower and pretending to be athlete running in slow motion.
    In reference to the OP you decide what time you give - no one cares, trust me. Many schools can't even train their staff in PE, despite zillions from the sports partnerships. Many don't even get PE. Choose sessions that link into an awards scheme - at the end of the day you cannot beat kids standing up in assemblies with certificates, no one can argue with that. What would you rather your kids have - the pleasure of doing a flower dance or holding a gold certificate for an athletics challenge?