1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tiger at US zoo tests positive for coronavirus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Apr 6, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Good grief - an unexpected turn.
    Let's hope the virus cannot be passed the other way, and that domestic cats are not affected! :eek:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586
    A four-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.

Nadia, her sister Azul, as well as two Amur tigers and three African lions, had developed a dry cough and all are expected to fully recover, it says.

The cats are believed to have been infected by a zoo keeper.

"We tested the cat [Nadia] out of an abundance of caution and will ensure any knowledge we gain about Covid-19 will contribute to the world's continuing understanding of this novel coronavirus," the zoo said in a statement on Sunday.

The big cats did have some decrease in appetite but "are otherwise doing well under veterinary care and are bright, alert, and interactive with their keepers".

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:eek:

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Was the zookeeper not doing the 2m distancing? How close do they go to the big cats over there?

Wondering if 2m is enough... It wouldn't be for me and a big cat... not sure 2 miles would be enough!

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

All cats can get this virus.

5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I read somewhere that both cats and ferrets pass it on but dogs don't.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There have been stories of cats getting it right from the very beginning. Its always hard to know whats true though, isn't it.

I have heard of two supposed cases of pet cats, one in China, one in Uk

We will have a major problem if rats or foxes can get infectious or pass it on

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O, I don't know.I find most people who post on here tend to stick to demonstrable facts whereas the less scrupulous might want to resort to alarmism and unsubstantiated tabloid type sensation.As if they were simply making something up to be heard!
    So glad people don't really do that on here.

lizziescat likes this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Great. (On the BBC, so is it "fake news"?)

9. Corvuscorax

I think the cat stories were also on the BBC. That's not to say the BBC is infallible, but its the source I trust most. I don't really use many others. The guardian, which is the only free "quality" newspaper, although most stories in the guardian can be confirmed on the BBC

install likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Cat owners may wish to be more cautious about contact with their pets, as a study from China has revealed Covid-19 can be transmitted between cats.

The team, at Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in China, found that cats are highly susceptible to Covid-19 and appear to be able to transmit the virus through respiratory droplets to other cats. Dogs, chickens, pigs and ducks were found to be unlikely to catch the infection, however.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ch-other-with-coronavirus-chinese-study-finds

install likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm thinking cat owners might have a problem if it is demonstrated cats can spread the virus. Would they be required to keep them indoors?
    If a cat has it can they only give it to other cats, or humans too?

12. Corvuscorax

There have been isolated instances of pets testing positive for the coronavirus elsewhere in the world, but experts have stressed there is no evidence they can become sick or spread the disease.

Here is an extract from the BBC report on the tiger, which refers to the earlier reports on cats, which I can't find, although the UK cat was different, as it wasn't tested.The account was that it was the cat of a coronavirus patient, and it showed symptoms for around 10 days, then recovered, as I remember

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That's me stuffed then. He isn't an "affectionate" cat, but he does get close. I have no idea if he has any contact with other cats, or humans when he goes out.

14. Corvuscorax

It is a worry, isn't it. I hope they can't spread it

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

At least the cats don’t seem to pass it to humans. It’s us that pass it to them :(.

16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

How long will it be before the idiots who are burning 5G masts turn their attention to cats?

Lidnod likes this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Experts said the findings were credible, but that they did not indicate cats were an important vector in spreading the disease between humans.

Prof Eric Fèvre, chair of veterinary infectious diseases at the University of Liverpool, said: “People should take usual precautions of hand washing when handling their pets, and avoid overly intimate contact, especially if sick with Covid. It is important to add that this says nothing about how the virus coming out of a cat may or may not be infectious to humans.”

Prof Jonathan Ball, a virologist at the University of Nottingham, said similar observations of transmission in cats had been made in relation to Sars, which is genetically closely related to Covid-19. “However, it should be remembered that cats are not playing much, if any, role in the spread of this virus,” he said. “Human to human transmission is clearly the main driver, so there is no need to panic about cats as an important source of virus.

19. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Apparently many pet owners are taking them to overrun pet rescue centres.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fortunately our daughter's moggy is an indoor cat, but I warned her a couple of weeks ago about fussing other people's roaming cats when she's outdoors. I was thinking more of them carrying it in their fur from their owners than them actually contracting it.