1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tier 1 schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by qualiteacher, Mar 25, 2012.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All, Am thinking about the future and where I might like to work. Which schools in your opinion are the truely good ones (academic wise) in Europe?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"Academic wise" is an expression that I would not use if I were trying to find a good teaching job. Your command of written English is "truely" amazing, qualiteacher!

3. qualiteacher

Sorry, I thought this was a forum where we could speak informally and ask for relevant and helpful advice. I didn't realise I was actually applying for a job. I was clearly mistaken.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Yes, you were mistaken. Lots of heads haunting these pages.
    Hippo is making a point that perhaps you missed. You are being rather presumptuous that you are ready for tier 1 schools. They are a place of dreams for many experienced expats; newbies should stick their teeth into a mid tier school or two first.

5. qualiteacher

I am not a newbie. I have been teaching overseas for over 10 years in non-European schools and have held positions of responsibilities (HOD and SMT) in 3 schools. I am more than ready for a tier one school. What is wrong with dreaming?

6. MisterMaker

When you' ve been on the circuit that long, you usually know the top tier schools. Keep dreaming.

7. qualiteacher

I know the top tier schools in the areas where I have worked but I don't claim to know the reputation of every single school in the world. Do you? Perhaps I should spend my days trawling the TES forums instead of teaching. Now, there's a dream . . .

8. MisterMaker

Although I don't know the reputation of all school worldwide, I do know about many schools in many countries I haven't worked in. After working overseas for a few years you tend to meet people who have worked in countries you haven't. Have I worked in Germany? No, not even in mainland europe. Do I know people who have worked in Germany? Yes. Do I know the reputation of many schools in Germany? Yes. Am I going to tell you on here? No; against the rules.
    It's called talking to people. Speak with your colleagues from the past ten years and I'm sure you will find some have worked in Germany, who know others or have.

9. qualiteacher

I do talk to people. As I said before, I was under the impression that this was a forum where you could ask for advice and help. I was after some different opinions and different perspectives. I wanted to hear from people who had perhaps worked in these countries and schools. Not hear it from some bloke I worked with for a year ten years ago who once knew someone who had a sister who had a friend that worked in France. Clearly something has offended you greatly about this. Nevermind, perhaps someone else will be more helpful.

10. [​IMG]

11. qualiteacher

Thanks, AB, he seems nice and friendly. Is he a head at a top tier school in Europe?

12. He is all of them.
    [​IMG]

13. qualiteacher

Clearly none of you are Heads in top tier schools in Europe as you all have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands. So am not too worried but again, thanks for all your help.

14. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Rather than asking fairly random questions, why don't you ask for more specific information?
    Which country(ies) are you interested in? What is your subject? Are you wanting a management position or a teaching position?
    A "top tier" school is an artificial construct as there is no such thing. There are great schools, good schools, not so good schools, etc. etc. What may be academic for me may very well be run of the mill for you.
    So what is it that you are actually after? Boarding or day? IB or non-IB? English language or state school?
    As for working in an academic school, do you have the academic credentials to get a job there? Do you have a degree from a Russell Group university or a foreign equivalent? Be honest with yourself, because if you haven't obtained a job at one yet, the chances are that it isn't going to happen any time soon.
    Once you have your heart set on a particular school, ask - in a roundabout fashion without naming the school - and the forum will try and inform you as best it can.
    It is a forum to help, not to do your leg work for you.

15. Yes, he is the head of the International School of Gay Paree. Sources tell me that the facilities are outstanding but the package is a bummer.
    And you would be wrong. Karvol and SMTDude, to mention only two, are both SMT members at those beacons of education you so keenly want to join.

16. I could believe it of Karvol as he has actually offered some constructive advice. I don't think SMTdude has commented on this thread has he?!
    I have a degree from UCL, a PGCE and a Masters. I have been an advisor in the UK and HOD abroad. True, I have never been offered a job in a top notch European school, but then again, I have never applied for one.
    I am interested in Germany, Switzerland, Scandanavia . . . .although any country a bit closer to home would be good. I am after a good school "academic wise" for my children.

17. qualiteacher

oops, that was my other half's account! They'd left it open on the computer. Sorry - that was really me.

18. MisterMaker

Way too much time, considering it is Sunday and any head in a decent school should be eyeballs and other balls up to work.(actually, I am up to my balls in work, but taking breaks every so often on here to give myself a laugh winding people up.)
    On the other hand: Hard never hurt anyone; but I still don't think it's worth the risk. (Don't know who first said that, no doubt the Captian will know.)

19. MisterMaker

So up to my balls I was careless im the quote:
    Hard work never hurt anyone; but I still don't think it's worth the risk.

20. qualiteacher

Winding people up is all very well and good but it doesn't answer my question, now does it?! I'm not wanting to work in a good school to 'prove' anything. Just wanted to provide for my children. So, any suggestions?