1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tickell review of EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I am relishing this change in direction for Early Years, I'd only been in reception for a term before the EYFS came into being, and therefore, it's pretty much all I've known. I hate being a 'practitioner', and I'd love my classroom to be more organised in its outward appearance. At the moment, it just looks like 'free-play' to anyone visiting, (and also to me on many occasions). Some of my children are ready for more now, but I find it very difficult to provide it with the current setup.
    I, for one, will relish having the freedom to be slightly more structured (without feeling guilty), and going back to assessing my children without writing thousands of post-its!
    There is a bigger problem now though, that I foresee....what am I going to do with my bargain bulk-buy post-its in my drawer? [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

<h4>I don't see anything in the document to suggest that reception should be more structured rather that Y1 should be more like reception ... (<u>Year 1 builds on the successful principles and approach encapsulated in the EYFS</u>) but I could have missed something </h4>

3. Reading the whole report gave me the impression that teachers are being given more freedom to teach in the style that suits them and their children.
    I look forward to reading it again in the Easter holidays!

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Well okay, I was listening while I got dressed, but she did definitely talk about not getting into Russell group universities without good early yeasr education. But in fact it's the children from poor homes who need the extra input, not everyone. My parents are definitely better educated than I am, in a global sense, because there were no targets and they weren't taught to a test. And I think I'm the same in relation to my own children. My parents and I didn't have much in the way of pre-school education but once we got to school our education was quite rigorous.
    Most children are going to do fine at school and may very well be traumatised by the horrid environment of modern nurseries with their assault of colour and stuff everywhere. Some children will benefit from extra help at an early age but I really can't see the need for curriculum or targets if they are taught by good professional staff who know their stuff, which is what I see in good state nursey classes (sorry FS1). I see no need for those good staff to be hounded by Ofsted, the government or anyone else. They know what's good for children (except for the physical environment - where did the idea of a small room full of colour being good for small children come from?!) and should be left to get on with it. I am not a nursery teacher but I don't half admire them.

5. Great thread
    Never really got into this overload of observations just did enough to get by, know my children well, never thought of myself as a practitioner, always had carpet time and taught the children, always had a good balance of CI AI so this report is refreshing. Still think I have the best job in the world [​IMG]

6. Msz

7. such a fing az foneticaly iregyoular wirds/werds/whirds - yre avin a laf intcha?

8. Msz

has anyone suggested SaLT?

9. Msz

good grief there weren't desks in my infant class when I was in reception ...how old are you!
    I mark work in comfort after the children leave as I don't have time to sit when I'm teaching

10. It seems as though someone has listened. Hopefully this is implemented, we have been gathering too much evidence for too long when the real beauty of Early Years is the interaction and self direction that should be taking place. We can now hopeffully spend more time with the children instead of ticking boxes. [​IMG] I like the three part scale too, excellent.

11. I really hope the recommendations to get followed up on. I am a student just about to start my PGCE and throughout years as a TA have been overwhelmed by the amount of paperwork that my teaching colleaugues have had to complete. I have found that this, if anything has led to a 'box ticking' culture which I had thought was more akin to Key Stages 1 and 2. The fact that Dame Tickell is placing a value on time spent with the children rather than administration for its own sake, is in my opinion long overdue. How can we, as practitioners be expected to know our children well when we are spending our days observing and assessing rather than interacting?