1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

thyroxine newbie

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 5klass, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hi, I've never posted on here before but know there are lots of wise folk who may be able to help...
    I've just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and started on 50mc Levothyroxine, with a blood test in 6 weeks to see how levels are going.
    I was wondering how long it took before effects begin to kick in. Assume I am on starter dose which is pretty low. Will I be Superwoman by start of term?? Nice thought!!
    Also, have heard lots of conflicting advice about actually taking dose. My mum was on same drug and made a big thing of getting up early to take it on empty stomach, only with water, and not eating for next 30 minutes. Aargh - term time early morning schedule does not currently allow for tablet taking time, but will obviusly make adjustments if necessary. Suppose I could use that extra 30 mins to practise yoga, do extra planning, walk the dog...
    Sorry for long post.

2. Hi, I've never posted on here before but know there are lots of wise folk who may be able to help...
    I've just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and started on 50mc Levothyroxine, with a blood test in 6 weeks to see how levels are going.
    I was wondering how long it took before effects begin to kick in. Assume I am on starter dose which is pretty low. Will I be Superwoman by start of term?? Nice thought!!
    Also, have heard lots of conflicting advice about actually taking dose. My mum was on same drug and made a big thing of getting up early to take it on empty stomach, only with water, and not eating for next 30 minutes. Aargh - term time early morning schedule does not currently allow for tablet taking time, but will obviusly make adjustments if necessary. Suppose I could use that extra 30 mins to practise yoga, do extra planning, walk the dog...
    Sorry for long post.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The people I know who take Thyroxine take it at breakfast time, before, with or after food.

4. My OH takes his at breakfast time, with food mostly. Will take without food if leaving really early, or takes later if he forgets (mainly at weekends). Never seems to make much difference on a day to day basis, as it is the overall level you need to maintain.
    He said it took about 6 months before his levels were tootally right, and then he stayed on the same dose for years and years. He had a test about every 4-6 weeks gradually increasing the dose until it gave the right levels - but he is on a really high dose, so if your levels settle with a lower dose it will not take as long.
    Good luck - you will feel much better once you are on the right level,

5. I am not on Levothyroxine myself but a couple of students in the residential unit I work in are prescribed it. Apparently at a consultant review, the parents of one of these students were told that it doesn't work as effectively if it's taken with milk or other dairy products (don't ask me why as I've no idea!). I don't think this is well known though as we hadn't been told anything about this and one of our night staff who also takes it seemed really surprised when I mentioned it to her so I don't think it's something most doctors tell patients about but that's what these parents were told.

6. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

My OH has been taking Levothyroxine for a few years. About 6 months ago a pharmacist he collected his prescription from told him he should wait half an hour after taking the medication before he had food or dairy products. He was surprised that he hadn't been told this before.

7. Yes, take it on an empty stomach half a hour before putting anything else into it. That said i usually take mine with a cup of coffee.
    I wouldn't say it was that instantaneous. 50mcg is the starting dose and it may be a few blood tests down the line before you hit the dosage that really works for you, and by then you've built up a bit of an increased expectation of energy, surreptitiously. I have to say that when i hit the magical 125mcg, my obvious improvement dose, I did feel noticeably less sluggish, though it took longer for the effects on my hair and skin to shine through. Five lovely years before the menopause arrived and took them all away again!

8. I'm not what you call a morning person. I'm certainly never going to get up half an hour early just to take a tablet. So when I'm at work, I stagger into the kitchen, make some coffee, have the tablet, get a shower, go to work and, when I was teaching, scoff a danish pastry and some orange juice during form period (I explained the situation to the kids), or now I'm in the office, I just make a bowl of instant porridge and eat it while I check my emails.

9. Reminds me of my determination to set an alarm for 6:20 every morning (the time I have to get up when I have an early shift) so I could take my contraceptive pill at the same time every day. That worked for about 3 days and then I gave up. I just take it as soon as I wake up now-the latest I wake up is 11 am anyway so I never take it very late.

10. I've been on 75mcg for over a year now and have had an increase in energy BUT there are side-effects (for me at least). Since taking levothyroxine I've had incessant tinnitus which drives me potty! Has anyone else had / got side-effects?

11. Is that a side effect? I didn't know that. I'll probably get it now.

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

no side effects here

13. I have been on thyroxine for over seven years. I was diagnosed after an MI, purely co-incidentally. I worked my way up to 125mmg, but early on I felt that I had much more energy: I felt great. Previously, I had always been a bit podgy, but after the thyroxine my waistline melted away. Whereas before I only needed about 3 or 4 haircuts each year, I now have one every month, as my hair grows really quickly (not on the bald patches, though). The only side-effects that I have noticed are that my skin is more greasy and I have to visit the gents every couple of hours.

14. I started on 50mcg in April which was increased to 50mcg 5 times a week and 75mcg twice a week after 6 weeks and has just been upped again to 75mcg daily now that I'm pregnant.
    My TSH level was 10.7 before I started meds. I have not felt any different since then but I felt perfectly fine before anyway! (Four years previously I had two years of feeling extremely rough though.) No side effects either. I was hoping for some weight loss...

15. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I've been taking thyroxine for about ten years now. I started on 25mg - even less than you and now take 100mg. 50mg is low but it may be all it takes to make you feel better. It takes about six weeks for the thyroxine to get into your system properly. It's also better to start with a low dose and build up. Too much thyroxine in your system is as bad as too little, infact a lot of doctors would say being slightly hypo is the safer option. Too much thyroxine can lead to high blood pressure and even angina.(I had an overactive thyroid years ago that was treated with RAI and that was miserable!)

I hope you start to feel better soon. I try to take my thyroxine fasting about an hour to half an hour before breakfast because your system will absorb it better. That said sometimes I am out of my routine and I end up taking it with or after breakfast! Take it before your shower. By the time I'm showered, dressed and made up that is near enough half an hour!

Be patient. You will start to feel better.

16. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Are you sure the two are connected?

17. I take my dose at bedtime - have I got it wrong? I'm onto 125/ 150 mg alternate days. Been doing this for several years as I kept forgetting to take it in the morning! Blood tests have been ok. Never lost any weight though without mega dieting. [​IMG]
    There are some odd side effects - I've had pins and needles recently and doc said it could be carpel tunnel, linked to the underactive thyroid! Everything seems to be linked ... osteoporsis another one to watch for - linked to underactive thyroid.