1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thwarted HOD interview?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by allotmentlady, May 29, 2017.

1. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

Hi there,
    I hope you're having a fabulous half term. It has been my dream for a while to be a HOD. I'm currently a senior teacher and last year I was acting head of year. I had an internal interview on Friday at my own school. The application date was advertised as interviews on Friday. I believe the interview went really well, but at the end of the day my line manager said they were delaying the decision , so that one of the external candidates could come and be interviewed as the interview was too short notice for them ( despite it being advertised as this date)

It's a new specification in my subject from September and I've done a lot of voluntary work towards it. I've also worked in industry prior to this . The candidate coming in has the same amount of teaching experience as me.

Should I be concerned that they will recruit them to come and lead the team? There's nothing else I could do better I don't think . Is it personality based? I'm just gutted as if they wanted me to get it ( being the only internal candidate ) surely they wouldn't have waited for the external delayed candidate who has been given 12 more days notice than me and the other candidates ( who prepared with 11 hours) . Surely I'm in a good position as i know the team or does it go down to paper and what is said on the day?

I'm so gutted already- even though I don't know the result as it looks like it's going to be bad news.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Firstly, don't panic. The external candidate might sound great on paper and be appalling in real life (or a bad team fit or not teach a good lesson or perhaps even reject the job themselves). Your SLT are almost certainly just hedging their bets - you're already on staff and have proven your worth whereas the other person hasn't so may be able to offer 'more' because they're adding to what's already there (i.e. you)! If you need an extra body in the department they may wish to interview them because, even though they want you to do the job, they want the opportunity to say to the other candidate that while it's not the advertised job they're being offered, would they be prepared to come in as XYZ.

If they do get the job, then you either have to go with it or start pulling together evidence for job applications elsewhere.

Good luck.

3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

You have done as well as can be in the interview, so from view there's not much more you can do.

Key questions:
    • What will you do if you are not given the job? You changed from industry to teaching, so you can make the transition to apply for another post.
    • If the external is appointed, what concerns would you have to be led by them? How will you handle this?
    So many (unknown) factors come into interviews and it's all a bit of a lottery. That you ask if it is personality based suggests your working relationship could be better with your line manager or other colleagues and might give cause for reflection.

In these situations, time can be easily spent thinking what could happen, so try to enjoy the half term (perhaps in your allotment ;)) - but the time will come when the external candidate has been interviewed.

4. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

I'm sure they just want to interview externals so that when they give you the position it feels like you've really earned it. I was in a similar situation in that I was acting in role, applied when the role went public and had to go up against an external - possibly the most awkward interview day ever.

However, if you wanted to be cynical, you could say that SLT are delaying so that, should they turn you down, the summer resignation deadline has passed and that makes it harder for you to leave and find something elsewhere... I'm sure that is not the case though. As above posters say, they may think this other person might be good for something else - or even have an alternative lined up for you.

5. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

So I got the job..
    But for a year . They say they may readvertise in a year!
    So on one hand I'm chuffed,
    The other I feel pressure about its temporary nature !

6. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Good news (in a way). When I took over as HoD it was a one-year and I was surprised how soon they advertised it officially. I went for the permanent post and got it against external competition. At least doing the job now gives you plenty you can talk about in the interview.

Did they give any reason why they only went for a one-year contract? Perhaps they want to give both themselves and you the chance to test the water and see if the job is right for you? Also a handy get-out if you decide you hate it!

7. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

Maybe you were great as AHOY and they want to keep you for that? HOD is more externally advertised than HOY.