1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thwarted by GDPR / Data Protection

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Oct 30, 2018.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Being a keen genealogist I have a strong interest in filling the blanks about my family history. My dad had loads of photos and diaries about church / holidays but wrote almost nothing about the schools he taught at. Keen to fill in the blanks I found plenty of material on the National Archives website that might help. I took notes of all the collections SL reference numbers an sallied forth to my Local Authority archives. With almost childish enthusiasm I asked to access the 1950-60 admissions. No chance - not available till 2050 by which time I will be pushing up daisies. Why, I asked - 'because they contain birth dates', they explained. Nor could I access log books or any minutes of governor meetings. Apparently they are not even open for 'genuine' academic research for University research or book writing. If I had asked 20 years ago there would have been no problem. I went away downhearted but mulling it over asked myself the question - who can see such things before they have aged 100 years. Why can Ofsted ask for and read minutes from a school. Why has the DFE got names and birth dates of all children ?. What do they need it for ?. If I cannot use the data to find pupils that were taught by my dad why should they be able to?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It has probably already been hacked and is online in Russia

(I have problems with all this data protection stuff with banks. Its MY money, why should they get to make it so difficult to move.)

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I've heard about (but never actually used) the genealogical records from all over the world collected and used by the Mormons in Salt Lake City. Might be worth looking into...

4. neddyfonk

The staff at the reception desk speculated that although they are not legally able to look at the records there are probably people who can from the criminal fraternity.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Admissions records I understand, but governors' minutes? That's ridiculous - they're supposed to be public documents! Anybody can go into any school and ask to see the Minutes of governing body meetings (other than any Minutes the governors have specifically designated as Confidential). It's a statutory legal right (although it probably wasn't in the 1950s).

Ofsted have a legal right to all information in a school even if confidential or it's personal data. they need it to do their job. But it's confidential to Ofsted.

So that other people can't move your money?

6. neddyfonk

My dad was a Mormon who helped transcribe parish records but what I wanted was a 'flavour' of what he was teaching and what the normal school day was like etc. Unfortunately, in the 1950's school logs may include punishment records that could still be used to bring criminal prosecutions against retired teachers.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You may well be right.... but only very old retired teachers! ( if you were teaching in the 1950s you'd be what... 82 plus at least today....)

8. neddyfonk

Guidance for governance only came into existence in 1981 when the first handbook was published. Before that individual schools made their own decisions about how they ran their school. No doubt some governors minutes prior to 1981 went into some detail about parents/pupils private lives, how it effected the school and what could/should/will be done.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm just running up against an data GDPR anomoly. Apparently (this has been the case for a lwhile but has never to my knowledge happened) when a child leaves the care of a foster carer the local authority should ask for and receive every document the carer holds relating to that child. Of course that means the foster carer no longer has it, should an allegation later be made about them by said child. Documents such as care plans could be vital in a carer's defence, for example, if something had happened to a child when they were doing something specifically allowed for in the care plan, meaning the carer was not at fault. This is, in fact a scenario that happened to us, except that it was a social worker. Because we had the documents to defend ourselves we were fully exonerated and she left the employment of the agency.

With GDPR fostering agencies and local authorities have finally started taking their data protection responsibilities seriously, and started asking carers to destroy or return documents. But the documents are as much about the carer as the child. The carer seems to have no rights at all to their own data.

It hasn't, of course, stopped them emailing me with invitations to events even though I'm no longer on their books and shouldn't, therefore, be on their email list. As I said, data protection is not their best thing. Which makes me all the more keen to have my own data rather than let them leave it in a skip somewhere.