1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thuwal, Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Training_2_Teach, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Has anyone lived or taught in Thuwal also known as King Abdullah Economic City?
    What is the social life like there?
    Do you have to run to the main city Jeddah for most things like shopping and restaurants or is there sufficient amenities in Thuwal?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Didn't Pink Floyd make an album called "Thuwal"?
    Mrs Hippo and I enjoyed our time in Jeddah, although I hated teaching at D** A* F*** school. I remember that we had to get special permission to travel from Jeddah to Taif, so perhaps the OP should look into whether or not he (or she) would be allowed to travel from Thuwal to Jeddah. "Probably not" would be my guess, as in the Magic Kingdom they are not terribly keen on silly western ideas like personal freedom.

3. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Thanks, I'm seriously shocked if they do not allow you to freely travel between places even it is the main city next to you.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, Training_2_Teach, it was a few years ago that Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus were in KSA, aka the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps things have changed. On the other hand, we are talking about Saudi Arabia and so maybe they haven't.
    Seriously shocked? Then perhaps KSA is not really the place for you. I wonder what you would say if you were ever to see what happens in Chopchop Square in Jeddah. It's the big plaza in front of the main mosque, where they do the public beheadings.