1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thundercats meh

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 20, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Do you remember that great children's show from the 1980s, ThunderCats? It was rich with uplifting messages for boys and girls about heroism in the face of tragedy alongside exciting adventures within archetypal contexts about archetypal characters. Its opening sequence set the tone:

After a brief & interesting reboot in 2011, Warner Brothers have again decided that its nostalgia value still has great potential so they have handed it over to a crèche of insipid, stupid-haired millennials with no appreciation of its legacy or potential and this is what they have come up with:

Is there any longer a popular culture medium accessible to children from which they can absorb messages of heroism, decency & responsibility which is undiluted by irony & comedy?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Was that like Top Cat ?

nomad likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Loved Thundercats... I have no idea what that new modern iteration is supposed to be...

I'm going to guess there'll be a bunch of post-modern in-jokes and quips, references to obscure material the stoned writers room only are aware of and asides to the audience with sly digs at anything to do with the original material?

Not for me...

4. Vince_Ulam

If Officer Dibble were an undead sorcerer, then yes.

[​IMG]

BetterNow likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Top Cat was a cartoon version of Sgt. Bilko, so even that was derivative.

Was Thundercats an adapted manga series from Japan? The animation style looks strangely familiar.

6. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Nooooooooooo :eek:

Eldest Trekette (now 36) will not be pleased!

7. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

Mumm-Ra!

I have a vague recollection of the trekettes finding it most amusing to call me Mumm-Ra :D

8. Vince_Ulam

Just as good in its way.

The original was an American creation by Ted Tobin but animated in Japan, yes, running from 1985 to 1989 with 150 episodes. I do not know where the 2011 version was animated.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There used to be. (I always thought Thundercats and series of that I'll were utter carp!)

This was mine...

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    racroesus and Vince_Ulam like this.
  10. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I just remember how they ended every episode with a hearty laugh.

11. Vince_Ulam

Next up - She-Ra, Princess of Power. From this powerful icon of femininity for a generation:

upload_2018-7-15_18-6-7.png

Via Netflix, to this, Jonny Quest in a wig & skirt:

upload_2018-7-15_18-7-35.png

Good luck, He-Man. I am sure that the millennials will get around to you soon enough.

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There used to be a teacher I taught with whose hair always reminded me of Lion-O.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What happened to Moggy-O and Pussyra?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

[​IMG]
    This is a Yamaha Thundercat. Nowt wrong with this!

drvs likes this.