1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thunberg's message to the UN

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 23, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Impressive??

o_O

2. jenny_talwarts

jenny_talwarts New commenter

Exploited.

What on earth are her parents thinking?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can't even be bothered.

I've got no time for her... she is 100% cringe... but her fans will denigrate anyone who doesn't worship at the feet of St Greta ...

BetterNow, Pageant, Laphroig and 4 others like this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

So which part of the message delivered do you think was not valid?

cissy3, vannie and hplovegame48 like this.
  5. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

I just don't get this weird cult.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why ask that?

It's not like it'll result in a productive conversation... It'll result in strawmanning and ad hominem ... I don't like her, I don't like the cult mentality surrounding her... I don't see her actually doing anything for the environment. Just getting lots of media attention.

7. theselofane

theselofane Occasional commenter

It is embarrassing - reminds me of when they started using pupils as part of the teacher job interviewing panel. How did we get to this?

BetterNow and towncryer like this.
  8. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

She’s not wrong though.

9. George_Randle

George_Randle Occasional commenter

She's the Joanna Southcott de nos jours.

Laphroig and artboyusa like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you ignore everything she's done, she's done nothing.

vannie and blue451 like this.
  11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Because it is the only thing that matters. If her message is true we are in deep sh1t. But there are still too many people who are in denial about both climate change and the possible consequences.

cissy3 likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lol.

Give over.

Possibly the daftest post this year.

Or last.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Did you post this on here by accident, when you intended to post on the Brexit thread?

cissy3, Stiltskin and smoothnewt like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, thought it was a reference to Rees-Mogg.

With a typo.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Impressive, no. Creepy, yes.
    But nice to see she's not wearing that Antifa tee shirt anymore. Kinda gave the game away, that one.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and 15 other children filed a complaint with the United Nations Monday alleging that five of the world's major economies have violated their human rights by not taking adequate action to stop the unfolding climate crisis.
    The petition names five countries -- Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey -- which they say have failed to uphold their obligations under the Convention on the Rights of the Child, a 30-year-old human rights treaty which is the most widely ratified in history."

Close call but we're in the clear.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

About which bit? About the climate needing addressing? Yes true... and not exactly a new message. I've heard it all my life.

Give me an ecologist... David Attenborough... a climatologist... people with qualifications ... experts (clearly Gove was right..we don't want experts, we want panicking teenagers)

18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Cringeworthy.

towncryer likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Much as I admire the great man, he isn't a qualified scientist of any kind, but a broadcaster. He has many honorary degrees but hasn't ever been involved in scientific research. He expertly reports the findings of others, but doesn't discover them himself, not an "expert" I'd consult about scientific matters, though I might enjoy one of his lightweight illustrated books (facts and pictures supplied by others).

He also hasn't reached the vast international audience with his message that Greta Thunberg has, in fact no-one has.

Pageant likes this.
  20. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

It's tough, the message is important and I'm one of the most pro-climate crisis individuals I know, but I do wish she wouldn't talk like an actor in a TV drama.

border_walker and Aquamarina1234 like this.